Ciao Bella Honey Almond Nougat Gelato

After trying the Ciao Bella White Chocolate Peppermint, I knew I had to go back to Whole Foods to try the other two seasonal flavors: Honey Almond Nougat Gelato and Mulled Apple Cider Sorbetto.  These are only available at Whole Foods and only available through December.  This means I have a bit of a challenge on my hands to review them before the end of December. (Who am I kidding, this is no challenge at all!)  Today I have a review of Honey Almond Nougat Gelato.  This flavor is described as

Our Honey Almond Nougat gelato is inspired by an Italian holiday favorite - almond torrone! We fold broken honey almond torrone pieces into our classic gelato base and add roasted almonds and wildflower honey to make the ultimate almond gelato.



The primary flavor of this gelato is an almond extract, almost amaretto flavor.  If you follow the blog, you know I'm not a huge fan of extract over actual product, but I'm actually okay with almond extract.  It has a very different flavor than almonds, and the flavor is also much stronger.  It works well here to give the base a strong punch of flavor.


There were bits of roasted almond mixed in.  The mellow, rich flavor of the roasted almonds complemented the strong, pure flavor of the base.

I was a little disappointed in the torrone chunks.  I had never heard of torrone, so I looked it up, and got really excited about it.  Per wikipedia, it is "a confection typically made of honey, sugar, and egg white with toasted almonds or other nuts."  It looks delicious, and I was looking forward to healthy chunks of the stuff.  Unfortunately, the chunks really blended in with the base, so all I got were the toasted almond bits.  I think I could taste a bit of honey that added some sweetness to the nutty base.


Overall this was a pretty good seasonal flavor, and definitely a unique concept, but could have been a little better executed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd