Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Peppermint Crunch

Other than my factory tour adventure, it has been way too long since I've reviewed a Ben & Jerry's flavor.  And although this isn't exactly a seasonal flavor, 'tis the season for peppermint! After seeing another ice cream blogger post to Instagram about their recent review of this flavor, I was feeling nostalgic and knew I needed some B&J's asap.



I get nostalgic about this flavor because Ben & Jerry's released it right when I was coming into my ice cream consciousness. It came out right when I knew enough about the existing Ben & Jerry's flavors that I could spot a new flavor when I saw one in stores. Back in my junior year in college, after successfully hunting for the then recently released 7-11 exclusive flavor, Nutty Caramel Swirl, my friends and I stopped at a grocery store to pick up a couple more pints for our freezer. We stumbled upon Chocolate Peppermint Crunch, which we didn't even know was coming out. It was a grand day and I remember loving the flavor. But, will it taste as good as I remember it?

#tbt


This flavor is described as Chocolate Ice Cream with Peppermint & Fudge Swirls & Mint Chocolate Cookie Balls.




First, the merits of Ben & Jerry's chocolate base are often debated. However you feel about it, I think the base is much improved by the peppermint swirl. The peppermint flavor of the swirl permeated the whole pint. When you got a bite of the peppermint swirl, the flavor was intensified. This swirl was also thick, not quite a liquid, and gooey. It reminds me of a slightly less viscous version of the middle of a York Peppermint Patty. Fantastic. The fudge swirl was thinner and less prominent, but the chocolateyness of this ice cream is already on point, so I wouldn't say this flavor suffers from the thinner fudge swirl.

It doesn't show up well in the picture, but you can kind of see some fudge swirl above and to the right of the peppermint swirl.


Lastly, the cookie balls are fantastic. They are like mini, crunchier Thin Mints. The chocolate coating on the outside of them is also slightly thicker than what you find in a Thin Mint. There are also tons of these guys in the pint and they add great texture.



What do you get when you combine and York Peppermint Patty and a Thin Mint and turn it into ice cream? One of the tastiest, yet most overlooked Ben & Jerry's flavors out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd