New-to-Me Brand Alert!! Batch Cinnamon & Chocolate Bits Ice Cream

I would be the first to tell you Iowa has great ice cream offerings. On the ice cream front, at first I was terrified of moving to a smaller city, and it has turned out to be fabulous. I love Heyn's, I love Yotopia, Thelma's Treats is fabulous, and I love finding David's Famous everywhere I look. However, I'm going to be honest, there aren't small, hip, local ice cream brands in every grocery store. Hanging out it Boston for a week, I discovered Boston has a bunch of such offerings. One evening, Brett and I bought some ice cream at the grocery store near his apartment. The pint design of Batch caught my eye, and this flavor sounded unique and tasty.



So first about bit about this company. Batch was started in May 2010 by Susie Parish and Veronica Janssens. They try to source as many ingredients as possible locally or from fair trade sources and use "only real ingredients and no weird stuff" according to the website. What are their ice cream making credentials? Susie attended University of Vermont and developed the "ability to eat ice cream no matter what the temperature was outside." Respect right there. And Veronica used to be a civil engineer, she worked on the Big Dig in Boston, but decided designing and making ice cream sounded more fun. Again legit.



Some other tasty sounding flavors they advertise on their website are Brown Sugar, Bourbon & Pecan and Dark Chocolate, Mexican Chile & Roasted Almonds.



Do their fantastic ice cream credentials translate into tasty ice cream?

Cute design on the top of the pint!


The description for this flavor on the website, there is no description on the pint, reads Gently steeping cinnamon in cream makes for a cinnamon flavor like no other. A sprinkle of chocolate chips and your mouth will be freaking out!




This ice cream tasted like someone put chocolate chips into Cinnamon Toast Crunch milk, except if Cinnamon Toast Crunch was made with way more real cinnamon, and then froze it. I thought it was delicious. Because, in all seriousness, the best part of eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch is drinking the milk after all the cereal is gone. My first bite of this ice cream tasted strongly of cinnamon. As I continued to eat, the cinnamon flavor mellowed out, and the flavor of the cream rose to prominence. The combo was great. The chocolate chips were mini and moderately abundant. My one complaint about this ice cream is about the texture of the chocolate chips. The chocolate chips got stuck in my teeth, which was annoying.

Yep, no weird stuff here!


If you live in New England and haven't yet checked out Batch Ice Cream, I definitely recommend this flavor!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd