Ben and Jerry's Salted Caramel Brownie Ale

YOU. GUYS. I've been waiting SO LONG to try Ben and Jerry's Salted Caramel Brownie Ale ice cream, a collaboration flavor with New Belgium Brewing.  I FINALLY HAVE IT I HAVE FINALLY TRIED IT AND IT IS DELICIOUS AND EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED AND MORE.  I went to the grocery store on Sunday and was disappointed that on first glance it seemed that Cub still did not have this flavor.  Because I'm a crazy ice cream person, I often look at the back of the shelves because people are terrible and they move things out of their assigned places and don't put them back.  Also, newly stocked ice cream often gets placed behind older flavors until the older flavors sell.  Good thing I decided to snoop because I caught a glimpse of a red lid at the back of the Ben and Jerry's section.  I had to move about 15 pints of ice cream out of the way to get to it, but by golly I got myself a pint of Salted Caramel Brownie Ale!

This flavor is described as

New Belgium Brown Ale ice cream with salted caramel swirls and fudge brownies.



Lizzy's review of the flavor (and her tales of the Ben and Jerry's factor tour) is here.  I'll go ahead and review it anyway because it was so good!

 My excitement about this flavor was 100% justified.  It was amazing.  All of Ben and Jerry's flavors are at least good.  Some are great, and a few are exceptional.  Often, their limited editions or exclusive flavors are at the high end of the delicious-ness spectrum, but I've been kind of disappointed in their special flavors this year.  A lot of them were really good, and just on the cusp of amazing, but none quite achieved true greatness.  That ended here.  Ben and Jerry's finally broke that barrier and created a truly earth-shattering flavor.

The first bite of the pint had the strongest ale flavor, but it was definitely present throughout the experience.  I liked this because it stood up and announced "I am a beer-flavored ice cream," but didn't shove that fact in your face.  I looked and looked, but couldn't find a New Belgium product called "Brown Ale," but the beer flavor was sweet, full-bodied, and not at all hoppy.  This base is unique to the Ben and Jerry's line-up, and incredibly well-executed.  I'd love to see B&J's incorporate more alcoholic flavors.


It wouldn't be a pint of Ben and Jerry's without some fantastic chunks, and Salted Caramel Brownie Ale did not disappoint.  I assume the brownie chunks are the same as in other Ben and Jerry's flavors (baked by Greyston Bakery), but they seemed bigger and chewier than usual.  These guys were seriously huge.  Almost a cubic inch!  The rich fudginess of the brownies complemented the lighter beer flavor well.

It's the most beautiful thing I've even seen in my life.  Cue weeping.

The swirl was also out of this world.  It was the thickest non-core swirl I've seen from Ben and Jerry's to date.  It was salted caramel, but just-barely-salted caramel.  A heavier dose of salt wouldn't have gone well with the ale, so I think Ben and Jerry's made the right call to dial it back.

Go buy this flavor now.  If you miss out you will hate yourself forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd