New-to-me Brand Alert! Arctic Zero Vanilla Maple

Well, the time has come. This blog has been around long enough for us to start trying the weird stuff. You might ask what, exactly, is the weird stuff? Bare with me and you will find out. Also, this weird stuff I tried, has also been around for long enough it deserve to be tried.



This weird stuff is Arctic Zero. This "Fit Frozen Dessert" has been around since 2010, so although I think it is weird, it has got some staying power. At this point, you are probably thinking, okay seriously, explain why you think this frozen dessert is so weird! Well, this frozen dessert has 150 calories per pint.

...

crickets

...

Yep those were my thoughts. If this stuff only has 150 calories per pint, what IS it? It's obviously not custard or ice cream or gelato or frozen yogurt or sorbet or even dairy free ice cream or any of the frozen desserts we are familiar with.

So I might as well jump right in with the review to attempt to explain what this stuff is.



The flavor I bought was Vanilla Maple and is described as Madagascar Vanilla with a Drizzle or Maple. The words "GMO FREE" and "LACTOSE FREE" and "Fat Free!" and "LOW GLYCEMIC" and "PROTEIN AND FIBER" and "CERTIFIED GLUTEN-FREE" and last but not least, "Yum!" also grace the top of the pint.



When I first sat down to eat this ice cream, I missed the instructions on the pint to let it sit for about 10 minutes before eating. So my first impressions of the texture of this product were not great. It was hard and even mealy. It seemed like this product was made solely of gummy stabilizers. I was not a fan. The flavor was also not great. It was sweet, but I didn't think it tasted much like vanilla or maple. I was planning on eating the whole pint in one sitting, since it was only 150 calories, but I was so displeased with this product, I couldn't finish it!



But luckily, giving this guy another go helped in favor of the product. The second time I ate this product, I let it sit for a little bit. This helped immensely with the texture. It was much softer, not as mealy, and didn't seem as stabilized. It wasn't great, nor was it even ice cream, by any stretch of the imagination, but it was much better. The flavor, obviously, didn't improve, but it was more tolerable since the texture didn't suck.



So what is this product exactly? From the ingredients, it is a frozen protein shake (and for those of you who aren't bros, a protein shake is usually whey protein powder mixed in water) with some stabilizers in an attempt to make it resemble ice cream. And you do have to hand it to Arctic Zero, the whole pint did have 12 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber, which is not bad for a 150 calorie container. However, Arctic Zero is also significantly more expensive than a protein bar or protein powder with the same attributes. If you want your ice cream to be ice cream and you protein shakes to be protein shakes, skip this product. If you, for some reason, are looking for a combo, then Arctic Zero is for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd