New Orleans Ice Cream Company: Bananas Foster

Alright, Dearest Readers, its time to get back on the New Orleans train. Slowly but surely I will finish all of the pints they sent me. I'm not the biggest fan of banana ice creams, but at this point I trust New Orleans more than most ice cream companies to turn unique desserts into stellar ice creams. Their Baked Alaska, Lemon Doberge Cake, Mardi Gras Pie, and White Chocolate Bread Pudding were all pretty rad.



This flavor is described as A Classic New Orleans Dessert is Given Life As Real Banana Pieces Are Blended With A Rich Caramel Ice Cream. Nutmeg and Rum Add Depth to This Delight. 



I don't usually think about New Orleans as having ridiculous ice cream descriptions, but they definitely went for it with this one. "Given Life"?? I love it. But I had never really thought of Bananas Foster as a classic New Orleans dessert. But apparently it was invented in New Orleans in 1951 by Paul Blangé. Who knew? And if you weren't aware Bananas Foster is a dessert typically made with bananas, vanilla ice cream, and a sauce made from butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, dark rum, and banana liqueur.



Obviously, New Orleans Ice Cream Co. gave this dessert a bit of twist by adding the nutmeg and caramel, but they are definitely capturing the feel of Bananas Foster. I'll start with the base. The banana pieces were little and there were a ton of them, so this flavor tasted more like it had a banana caramel base. I would also say the banana flavor was definitely stronger than the caramel.

This was the biggest banana chunk in the pint.


The caramel was light in intensity and just simply a lighter caramel. But as I kept eating, the caramel flavor grew. The nutmeg was also pretty subtle in this pint, but added a nice touch of sophistication. The rum flavor was pretty strong and I think it was my favorite part of this flavor. But I am a little bit confused about this flavor. There was a super thick rum-y-caramel-y swirl at the bottom of my pint. I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a rum swirl and it just all sank to the bottom? Or maybe the caramel of the caramel ice cream sort of all oozed to the bottom?

See the swirl at the bottom? How odd


Now rating this flavor is hard. It was a very good representation of Bananas Foster and a high quality ice cream. I did enjoy it, but banana ice creams still just aren't my most favorite of favorite flavors! I'm going to give this flavor 🍦🍦.5/4 cones. But I would say, if you are a banana lover, you might give this one three or even four cones!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd