Hamburg Inn No. 2 Bumbleberry Pie Shake

Now that primary season is just about over, I've finally made my way over to the Hamburg Inn. For those of you that don't live in Iowa or don't follow the presidential primaries super closely, Hamburg Inn is an old diner in Iowa City mostly famous for being a frequent stop for presidential candidate visits. Often presidential candidates will order a famous pie shake from Hamburg. I went this past Monday to try this concoction!

The pie shakes are made by blending an entire slice of pie (or cake, they have some cake flavors, like red velvet, which I want to try) with milk and soft serve ice cream. There are a lot of different flavors of pie to chose from and I was struggling to make my decision. I was intrigued by the bumbleberry, seeing as I had no idea what it actually was. The friend I was out with said she really liked it, so I went for it. After I ordered it, I asked our waitress what it bumbleberry actually was and she told me it is raspberry, rhubarb, and apple!!! What a delicious sounding and unique combo!



And man, this shake was monstrous. A) It was huge. So big they just brought it out in the mixing cup and didn't even try to pour it into a glass. I came to the restaurant and I still almost couldn't finish it. The last three bites were kind of rough; however, I'm not a whimp and I powered through. But you're paying $7.49 for the thing, so you do want to get your money's worth.  I would definitely recommend splitting one of these shakes with a friend, unless you are suuuper hungry!



B) It was delicious. The raspberry and rhubarb flavors stood out the most. Tangy while also sweet. I couldn't necessarily taste the apple separately from the other flavors, but there was an aura of fruitiness that the apple added. That element really balanced out the raspberry and rhubarb, which have similar taste profiles. The pie crust also came out of the mixing process in really huge chunks. The crust itself was so thick that it had both doughiness and flakiness. It tasted buttery and delicious. Last but not least, the whipped cream on top was so thick it was almost like icing!

Look at that piece of pie crust!!


All in all, šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4 cones. If it were a bit cheaper I would give this 4/4, but even for the size, this was a bit pricey!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd