Minneapolis ICE CREAM RUN EXTRAVAGANZA!!

Guys, we really like EXTRAVAGANZAS!

This past weekend, your two friends over here at the Big Muddy Ice Cream Blog had our most exciting adventure yet as bloggers! We've had ice cream extravaganzas before, eaten ice cream from all over the country, but nothing compares to our adventure this past weekend.  We went on an ice cream run! Yes, you read that right, we ran from ice cream shop to ice cream shop, nausea be damned! Our ice cream run was totally the brain child of Madeline and it involved four ice cream shops and three segments of running. We started at Sebastian Joe's, ran .95 miles to Milkjam, ran 3.86 miles to Pumphouse Creamery, and then ran .87 miles to Grand Ole Creamery!

Thanks Alex, Rebecca, Laurel, Somyi, Theo and Humberto for coming on this crazy adventure!
Lizzy: The only one of these I had been to before was Sebastian Joe's, so I was super pumped to try all of these shops. But I will definitely need to go back to them, because I didn't get as much ice cream as I normally would (obviously) at each one. Madeline and I decided to split the smallest size at each place, which included one or two flavors, depending on the shop.

Madeline: At Sebastian Joe's Lizzy and I split a small scoop of Chocolate Cinnamon Pretzel.  I was intrigued by this flavor, and a bit worried, because I couldn't fathom how chocolate, cinnamon, and pretzel would work together.  I needn't have worried because this was fabulous!  I always love a good chocolate-cinnamon combo, and this flavor was no exception.  The chocolate was very light and the cinnamon was warm and mellow as opposed to spicy; the perfect complement to the chocolate. Neither flavor overwhelmed the other.


The pretzels were a real treat and really added to the flavor.  They were sizable, chocolate-covered spheres as you can see in the picture below.  Pretzel mix-ins are too often soggy or stale, but these were perfectly crunchy.  The chocolate coating was darker than the base, and the pretzels were very salty.  I didn't imagine cinnamon and salt would be a good combo, but it is marvelous.  Maybe this will be the new "salted blank" trend.  I give this flavor šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones.




Madeline: At Milkjam Lizzy and I tried the "Halle Berry," Greek yogurt w/ berry/rose swirl, and "Cereal Killers," Orange coriander milk w/ candied fruity pebbles.  I'll review Halle Berry first because it's a more standard flavor and I have some things to say about Cereal Killers.



Halle Berry had, hands down, the best Greek yogurt base I've ever tasted.  It was very, very tangy and actually tasted like yogurt.  The swirl was thick and prominent and the sweetness and acidity of the berries balanced the tanginess of the yogurt.  I couldn't explicitly taste the rose in the swirl, but I do think there was maybe more of a mellow floral hint to the swirl than is normal for berry mix-ins. The texture of the Greek yogurt base was also a bit softer than the ice cream base in Cereal Killers.  I give this flavor šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones.


Ok.  I want to know who the hell came up with Cereal Killers! I would never have guessed that the combination of orange and coriander would taste like Fruity Pebble milk. I just don't understand how it works.  WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING?!  Whatever magic is going on here, the orange coriander base is amazing.

If mixing Fruity Pebbles into ice cream is a good idea, then mixing candied Fruity Pebbles into ice cream is the GREATEST idea!  Image Fruity Pebbles covered in grainy, sweet sugar then mixed into ice cream.

I don't know if I can do this flavor justice in a review.  You NEED to try it.  I'm giving it the rare šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones rating.



Lizzy: At Pumphouse Madeline and I got Buttermilk with Lemon Bar and Butterscotch with Cashew Toffee. I picked out the Buttermilk with Lemon bar after loving the buttermilk in New Orleans' strawberry flavor. However, after almost four miles of running in the heat, buttermilk ended up not being a totally appetizing flavor. The base was plain buttermilk flavor, and it was quite strong. Super tangy and not too sweet. The base, especially given the buttermilk flavor, was very rich. The rich and tangy flavor was just too much for my stomach at that moment. The base of these flavor was also quite creamy. It wasn't a super dense base, which was good for my stomach at that moment. Any other occasion I would have enjoyed this flavor a lot more. I was a bit disappointed, however, with the lemon bars. When I found them, they tasted great; tart, but still sweet. They also were super dense and crumbly, not too goopy and moist. There were just not enough lemon bar pieces for how tasty they were! I'll give this flavor šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4 cones!



The butterscotch cashew toffee was also great. I like butterscotch, but I don't love it like Madeline, and it overwhelms me when it is too strong. The base of this flavor suited me perfectly. It was deliciously butterscotchy, but on the subtle side. This really allowed the cashew toffee to shine! The toffee was great and there were a couple of big chunks and a handful of smaller ones. It was gritty and hard and dense and I really enjoyed the cashew twist to the toffee. I will give this flavor šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones! A little more of the toffee and it might have gotten 4!


There's a little bitty toffee piece in this picture!


Lizzy: Lastly, at Grand Ole Creamery, Madeline and I shared a "small" scoop of Taro ice cream. I put small in quotes because their smallest size is freaking ginormous! Grand Ole Creamery also probably has a low overrun. The ice cream was suuuper dense, like hard to get your spoon through it. But it was so smooth and creamy at the same time. I would say this shop had the best texture of the bunch! I totally loved this flavor and I was stoked to see a taro ice cream. I've had taro froyo multiple times and totally loved it. It's about time I found a taro ice cream! Taro is such a unique, sweet, and nutty flavor. It doesn't taste like chocolate at all and taro isn't a fruit, and yet, as Madeline's friend Theo described it, "this is what chocolate would taste like, if chocolate was a fruit." Like, when you are eating this flavor, you can tell you are eating a non-fruit part of a plant, but it is the most desserty plant ever! I just love taro. Thus, this flavor gets my second ever šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd