Ben and Jerry's Wal-Mart Exclusive Pecan Sticky Buns

You guys! Pecan Sticky Buns, Ben and Jerry's latest Wal-Mart exclusive was released MONTHS ago and I am just now getting around to reviewing it!  Let's just say the end of the semester was hellacious.  Also, during the past month I went to Wal-Mart twice specifically to look for this flavor and it was out of stock.  I went back and finally found a pint.  This flavor is

Buttery brown sugar ice cream with pecans, sticky bun dough and a cream cheese frosting swirl.



So let's get the obvious out of the way.  This sounds and tastes a lot like Ben and Jerry's Cinnamon Buns, but I think the cream cheese swirl and addition of pecans distinguishes it enough from Cinnamon Buns to justify releasing it as an exclusive flavor.

The brown sugar base was very lightly flavored.  I could tell it wasn't a sweet cream base, but I don't know if I would have been able to identify it as brown sugar in a blind taste test.  Also, the other flavors were quite strong and tended to drown out the base.


There were tons and tons of dough pieces.  I got about two per bite.  I think these are the exact same dough pieces that are used in Cinnamon Buns.  They're about the size of a dime and have the texture of a dry-ish (but not dry) and grainy dough.  You can really taste the egginess that is a characteristic of a dough as well as a strong cinnamon flavor.

The pecans added a really interesting element, but there were not enough of them!  Pecans are a sweet nut, so it was the perfect mix-in to blend with the sweetness of the rest of the elements but also bring a touch of savoriness to the flavor.


As with the pecans, there was simply not enough of the cream cheese swirl! Ok, I'll admit, there was actually a decent amount of swirl, but it was so good that I found myself wishing that this flavor had a cream cheese base instead of a brown sugar base.

I had a really hard time deciding whether to give this flavor 3 or 4 cones.  I've decided to give it šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones.  Why did I reach this decision? Two reasons: 1) It was SO similar to Cinnamon Buns, and I tend to reserve 4 cone ratings for unique or incredibly amazing ice creams; 2) I found myself wishing the flavor used a different base.  Again, I usually reserve 4 cone ratings for flavors that are perfect and where I don't want to change anything about the flavor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd