Oberweis: Chocolate Peanut Butter

When I was visiting STL last weekend, I needed to pick up some groceries on Sunday, which obviously meant getting some ice cream. Since I can't take ice cream back to Eldon with me, seeing as it would melt in the car, this meant I needed to get Brett to agree to help me finish whatever pint of ice cream I got in one sitting. He reluctantly agreed.



I wanted to get something that I haven't really been able to find in Eldon/the Lake area to make it a worthwhile pint in one sitting experience. There might be Oberweis at the Dierberg's at the Lake, but I'm not sure; however, I know there isn't any in Eldon or at the HyVee at the Lake, which I go to more often than Dierberg's. The Schnucks' Brett and I were at only had Chocolate, Vanilla, Butter Pecan and Chocolate Peanut Butter Oberweis. The Chocolate Peanut Butter really seemed like it would hit the spot.



For those of you that are not from/do not live in the Midwest, Oberweis is a a dairy company that started selling milk in 1915 and started delivering milk in 1927 in Aurora, now North Aurora, Illinois (a burb of Chicago). Oberweis was an old fashioned deliver milk to your door everyday in a glass bottle type of company. And they have tried to stay that way. If you want to buy Oberweis milk at the store, it comes in a glass bottle. And I am pretty sure you can bring that same glass bottle back to the store and get it refilled. They also still will deliver milk to you door. You know what else they will deliver to your door? Ice cream. Yep you read that right. Ice cream at your door step. They also will deliver their other dairy products, like yogurt, to your door, but I don't really care about that. In addition, I'm pretty sure their delivery range for their ice cream is nationwide while their delivery range for their other products is only the Mid West. Pretty freaking sweet.



Now for the ice cream. This is your classic chocolate ice cream with a peanut butter swirl. However, the Oberweis website has a super long description of this flavor: "Our super premium Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream is a huge favorite of Oberweis ice cream fans. We take our rich and creamy chocolate ice cream and layer in smooth, creamy peanut butter chunks to make this ice cream the perfect marriage of two candy classics. Every spoonful ends with mmmm."

At a quite reasonable, for a peanut butter ice cream at least, 280 per serving, this was quite easy to demolish in one sitting with help from a friend.


I would definitely call the peanut butter in this ice cream a swirl not chunks. But whatever Oberweis. You do you, I guess. The base of this ice cream is super milky and awesome. The texture of Oberweis is decently airy and soft while also being very rich and creamy. Your spoon slides through it much more easily than it does through Haagen Dazs, for example (I make this comparison because I reviewed the Haagen Dazs Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor last year).



The peanut butter swirl, on the other hand, stops your spoon right in its tracks. The swirl is quite solid and takes a couple good whacks to break into manageable chunks, which is pretty awesome. It is also very very smooth and becomes creamy when it dissolves in your mouth. I really really liked the texture of the swirl. The flavor was pretty good, but not my favorite.

Sorry for the super awkward lighting, but yes that is one giant piece of peanut butter swirl that I could not get broken apart.


It was mostly very sweet peanut butter, more like Jif than like peanuts. I generally like my peanut butter to taste a bit more like peanuts. But overall the swirl was really solid. I definitely like the taste of Haagen Dazs' peanut butter swirl much better, but the texture of Oberweis' much better. Maybe there is someone out there who can combine those two elements? I can only hope.

Comments

  1. Who reluctantly agrees to eat ice cream. Shame on Brett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those italics were supposed to indicate sarcasm. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd