Ben and Jerry's Truffle Trifecta

Literally the day before Kyle and I were driving back to Minnesota we stopped at Walgreens and I left with Ben and Jerry's Walgreens exclusive flavor Truffle Trifecta.  Luckily Kyle and my dad helped me polish off this pint in a single night.  This flavor is described as

Chocolate ice cream with Marshmallow, Fudge, and Caramel Truffles.

I bought this flavor because I thought it was a Ben and Jerry's exclusive flavor that I hadn't tried before, but as I was eating it I started to get feelings of deja vu.  I think I tried this flavor a few years ago before I was really into the ice cream scene.



On to the review!

I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but Ben and Jerry's normal chocolate base really annoys me.  I realize that is a really weird verb to use regarding an ice cream flavor, but hear me out.  B&J's chocolate base isn't bad, by any means, but it also isn't great.  I could live with this because their mix-ins are so fantastic, except for the fact that I know they can do better.  Specifically, the Target exclusive flavor Peanut Butter World has a milk chocolate base, and this milk chocolate base is so fantastic and so much better than the normal chocolate base.  In my opinion, Ben and Jerry's should switch all of their chocolate ice cream out for their milk chocolate ice cream.



That annoyance aside, this was a pretty decent ice cream.  I think it's kind of fun to mix in different types of truffles so that each bite is a surprise.  The marshmallow and caramel truffles were really good.  The caramel had a rich, deep flavor and was very thick.  The marshmallow truffle had filling somewhere between a marshmallow and marshmallow fluff.  The fudge truffles were good as well, but the fudge didn't stand out much from the outer chocolate cell of the truffle.  Part of me wished that these truffles were bigger, but then they would have been a trifle (hah) too big for an ice cream mix-in.



One downside about this ice cream.  I think I paid something like $6 for this pint, which was a Walgreens thing and not a Ben and Jerry's thing I believe.

Comments

  1. When I tried this ice cream a while ago, I was really disappointed with it. I felt like the truffles were WAY too small and way too sparse throughout the ice cream. I also felt the truffles were so small you could hardly even taste the filling of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I can't imagine they reformulated it with bigger/more truffles but I could definitely taste the filling and was getting at least one or two per spoonful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I will just have to give it another try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd