Tutti Frutti: University City Location

The frozen yogurt bar, Tutti Frutti opened a University City location back in the summer of 2012. After not being super impressed my first visit that summer, I was convinced to go back when I was told they had amazing vegan flavors made with soy. Their soy peanut butter, taro root, and banana milk have been favorites of mine ever since.

Look at the adorable designs on the Tutti Frutti cups!!


But the University City location, on North & South and Delmar, isn't actually close to where I used to live in University City, so I didn't go a ton, and I hadn't had a chance to go since moving out of St. Louis. Even though frozen yogurt bars aren't the most exciting, I had really been craving some vegan peanut butter froyo, so after my birthday dinner (at the all vegan brick and mortar location of Lulu's Local Eatery) last weekend we all headed to Tutti Frutti for some froyo.

A list of things to help you convince yourself that froyo is good for you.


A while back when I reviewed the froyo bar Yo My Goodness, I set out 8 categories by which one evaluates a froyo experience. To review, those categories are:

1) The variety of flavors: is there a good selection?
2) The flavor of my choices.
3) The quality of the combination of my choices.
4) The texture of the fro-yo (or sorbet, etc.)
5) The variety of toppings.
6) Quality of toppings.
7) How well my toppings coordinate with my fro-yo flavors.
8) Overall experience.

Here's my creation!

1) I was totally disappointed, however, that they were not offering any of their vegan soy flavors that day! Sad. I sampled a bunch of flavors and there was a definitely a good variety. A handful of fruity, a handful of chocolatey and a handful of others. Two I sampled that I didn't get were chocolate strawberry, it was very chocolatey and not very strawberry-y, and salty caramel, it just tasted artificial.



2) I ended up getting Cinnamon Bun, Peach, and Cookie N Cream. At first sample, I loved the Cinnamon Bun. It was totally cinnamony and totally doughy. You could almost taste the stickyness of a cinnamon bun. However, by the end of my cup, it tasted a little too strong and the dough flavor tasted artificial. It could have been more subtle and that would have made it more enjoyable to eat a bunch of it. The peach was just great. Very strong, tart, and sweet. Last, but not least, the Cookie N Cream was a standard cookies and cream flavor. It was that mellow, chocolatey, cookie-y flavor unique to cookies and cream.



3) The Peach and Cookie N Cream honestly worked surprisingly well together. The strong tartness of the peach was nicely mellowed by the cookies and cream. Who would have thought that peach and chocolate would be such a good match, but they really were. The Cookie N Cream and Cinnamon Bun was a good combo, really only because chocolate compliments everything. Cinnamon and peach should really work well together, but these two strong flavors, however, just clashed. I would love a more mellow cinnamon would be taste great with a strong tart peach.



4) Tutti Frutti's texture is pretty middle of the line. I've had froyo that was more icy and I have had froyo that was creamier.

The fruit and some of the candies and other desserts.


5) The variety of the toppings was decent, but the only this super unique was some white chocolate covered pretzels and some gummy fruity looking thing called yogo jelly. There was a bunch of fruit, not a ton of sauces, nuts, candies, and some cereal. Nothing blew me out of the water in terms of there being something I hadn't seen before. I got some strawberries, Oreos, chocolate rocks, some gummi bears, and a couple of chunks of cookie dough.

The rest of the toppings!


6) The strawberries weren't the ripest, but they were a great size of chunks. They were just fresh strawberries which I like. I don't like when other froyo bars have frozen strawberries or strawberries in syrup or something weird like that. The cookie dough chunks were huge, moist, with awesome crunchy chocolate chips. The gummy bears were really good and were some sort of unique tropical flavors or something.

7) Again, I am kinda surprised how well the Peach went with my chocolatey toppings. Other than that I don't have a ton to say about these toppings. I was really torn on what flavors to get and just ended up getting flavors I didn't think would coordinate well. Sometimes I try to create a theme with my flavors and then pick toppings that fit the theme. Thus, I didn't get the craziest toppings. Strawberries and Oreos, in my opinion go with almost any flavor.

8) Overall I was a little disappointed, mostly because they didn't have the soy flavors I was looking forward to. I liked everything I got, and I even really liked the peach, but I have had better froyo bar experiences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd