Ices Plain and Fancy: Salted Dulce de Leche Custard

Ok, I was SO excited to try Ices Plain and Fancy.  The day Lizzy, Brett, and I went to Crown Candy Kitchen the original plan was to go to Ices Plain and Fancy, but it was closed.  Such sadness.

Two days later Lizzy, Brett, Kyle and I one more time made the trek out to Ices Plain and fancy.  I had such a hard time deciding what to get.  I wanted one of everything on the menu.  They have a whole long list of boozy ices.  The two that stood out to me were one made with ginger beer and one (for 21+ only) made with Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout (I think it was the milk stout, it may have been a different LHB beer).  These are on my to-try list next time I visit home.

Since this was my first time at Ices Plain and Fancy, I decided to try a 'simple' ice, and decided on the Salted Dulce de Leche Custard flavor.  From what I could tell, this was either a vanilla or very lightly caramel-flavored base.  What made this outstanding were the toppings.  There was a light drizzle of dulce de leche, and in addition there was FREAKING BLACK SALT sprinkled on top.  I've never had black salt before, so this was so, so cool.  When I ordered this, I assumed that it would be your standard salted caramel type thing, so I loved that the salt was actually a topping.  If you've never had black salt before, it has a really intense salty flavor and is delicious.

I love that Ices Plain and Fancy pays attention to presentation.  It really takes the ice cream experience to the next level.



Kyle got Rocky Road, which had whole mini-marshmallows and was topped with pieces of milk chocolate.  Unfortunately this flavor had cashews, which made Kyle sick to his stomach.



The texture of this ice cream was also awesome.  It was really, really thick, but still soft, almost like the texture of frozen custard.

What makes Ices Plain and Fancy so unique and cool is how they make their ice cream.  They are not a scoop shop.  They are a liquid nitrogen shop.  When you order your ice cream, an employee takes the ice cream base mixture and puts it into one of four stand mixers with an ice cream making attachment.  They set this is motion and slowly pour in liquid nitrogen.  It is so, so awesome to watch your ice cream being made.

I also absolutely adore the name Ices Plain and Fancy.  It's so adorably quaint.  The decorations inside are bright and colorful, but not cloyingly cute.

This experience was so fun that, if I ever get married, I think I will have liquid nitrogen ice cream rather than a cake.  Who likes cake anyway?

Just wait for Lizzy's review of what she got on this trip because she got the coolest ice cream you'll ever hear about in your entire life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd