Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss: Chocolate Walnut Brownie

I think this is my first non-dairy blog post!  Huzzah!

One of my mom's friends can't have dairy, and thought she would have to live without chocolate ice cream forever, but boy did she have another think coming!  I initially wanted to review a pint of SoDelicious because that is offered in a lot of 'normal' stores like Wal-Mart and such, but when I stopped by Whole Foods, there were no non-plain SoDelicious flavors.  I really wanted to show that there were fancy, chocolatey flavors of non-dairy ice cream out there, so I decided on a pint of Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss Chocolate Walnut Brownie flavor.  The website and pint both don't have a flavor description, but this is chocolate (coconut milk) ice cream with chunks of walnut and chunks of brownie.




Not only is this dessert non-dairy, it is also gluten and soy free!

Initially I was a bit apprehensive as I have not liked coconut based ice cream in the past as it often tastes too much like coconut.  Which, I know, is silly, but if I want a chocolate ice cream, that means I do not want a chocolate-coconut ice cream.  I was pleasantly surprised by this non-dairy frozen dessert!  It did smell like coconut, and the first few bites tasted like coconut, but that flavor faded after a few bites.  Also, it didn't taste like sweetened coconut, it tasted like unsweetened coconut, which made a huge difference.



This had a pretty dry and almost flaky texture, which sounds kind of gross, but was actually pretty good.  It wasn't as creamy as normal ice cream, but it wasn't weirdly textured.  The chocolate base tasted like cocoa powder.  It could have been a touch more chocolatey, as the chocolate flavor started to fade for me about half-way through the bowl.  Again, this is something really minor, because the flavor was good.

The brownie chunks were large and very very chewy, and on par with the yummier gluten-full ice cream brownies I've had.  I wish there were more of them! The walnut chunks were larger than most nut chunks in ice cream, which was a good thing because it lets you experience the texture of the walnut.



Overall, this was a really great non-dairy frozen dessert experience!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd