Graeter's Gelato: Dark Chocolate Gelato

Even thought I haven't had much Graeter's, there is i special place in my heart reserved for the brand, so I was excited when they recently launched a gelato line, which right now consists of 4 flavors.  I, of course, decided to try out the chocolatey flavor, Dark Chocolate, for my first taste of this new gelato.  It was awesome.  I mean was there any doubt.




The description of this flavor on Graeter's website cracks me up:

Chocolate fanatics, your gelato has arrived.  Graeter's Dark Chocolate Truffle Gelato!  Dark chocolate gelato is paired with dark chocolate truffles that have dark chocolate cream centers, resulting in a decadent, "extra noir" gelato crafted in true Italian fashion.

I mean, how many times can you say the words 'dark chocolate'?



Graeter's Ice Cream is known for using the French Pot process to make small, 2 gallon batches of ice cream.  It seems they've stuck to this trend and make their gelato by hand, the Italian way in 2.5 gallon batches.  I don't know exactly what 'the Italian way' entails, and was not able to pin it down in 5 seconds of Google searching so I gave up.



In any case, this gelato was good.  The dark chocolate base tasted very strongly and consistently of cocoa.  The real star were the dark chocolate truffles.  These guys were fancy.  They tasted like they were very high quality dark chocolate, and you could tell their innards were creamy.  They even had fancy swirly designs.  Most ice cream truffle mix-ins don't have this level of detail.  It's as if these truffles started out life as actual truffles and just happened to find their way into a pint of ice cream.  I wish there were more truffles throughout the pint, as I got a truffle maybe every third or fourth small spoonful of gelato.

'And never the twain shall meet.'  Really? Seems to me they've already met.  IN THIS VERY PINT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd