Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

After trying the Limited Edition Peanut Butter Half Baked (reviewed here), and talking about how Ben and Jerry's was the first brand to ever put cookie dough into ice cream I decided it would be in my best interest to review some cookie dough ice cream.  What better place to start than with the originators themselves?



I picked up a pint of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream at the grocery store this weekend.  This flavor is described as

Vanilla ice cream with gobs of chocolate chip cookie dough.

The first thing that I noticed was the vanilla flavor.  There are some grumps out there who are not that fond of Ben and Jerry's vanilla base, especially in comparison to their Vanilla Bean base used in the now-discontinued (aside, I'm very sad this flavor no longer exists) Late Night Snack.  I guess I shouldn't really call them grumps because I have the same quibbles about their chocolate vs. milk chocolate bases.  Anyway, the point is that I disagree and thought that this was a pretty decent vanilla base.  Was in the best vanilla base I've ever had?  No.  Was it the worst? Absolutely not.  So many vanilla bases out there are incredibly bland and only nominally vanilla flavored.  Ick.  In contrast, the vanilla base here had the warmth and mellowness of actual vanilla.  Far from ick.



The gobs of cookie dough were indeed gob-like.  (When I first wrote this, I typo-ed this as god-like.  The cookie dough is good, but not that good.)  They were roughly spherical with diameter slightly smaller than the diameter of a penny.  They were very grainy and had the consistency of real cookie dough.

All in all, this was a pretty decent Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream.  I don't think it's necessarily an amazing standout in the world of cookie dough ice cream, but its worth a try to try the original.

Last but not least, someone (Andy Kryza to be specific) at the Thrillist baked the cookie dough chunks into cookies.  Read about it here.   Andy Kryza, you are my new hero and can we be best friends?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd