Graeter's Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Man, Lucky's Market in Iowa City is such a great ice cream resource! I've gotten Steve's ice cream there, Three Twins, and now Graeter's! Graeter's is a brand that is seriously underrepresented on Big Muddy. Thankfully, Lucky's will help me fix this atrocity.



Of the Graeter's flavors Madeline and I have tried, the best are usually the fruit ice creams with chocolate chips, while their more desserty flavors, like Mocha Chip and Cookie Dough haven't been as spectacular.



So where does Coconut Chocolate Chip fall on this spectrum?



Definitely on the delicious side. The flavor of the base was a simple, sweet coconut flavor. It tasted exactly like eating sweetened shredded coconut. There were also lots of coconut flakes in the whole pint. These gave awesome texture to the whole pint. Simple, sweet, coconutty! And of course the chocolate chips were fabulous. If you weren't aware, Graeter's does have the best chocolate chips. They are HUGE! They are also incredibly unique. The chocolate is a high quality milk chocolate that is quite sweet and milky, and smooth!



My one quibble with this flavor was the milk chocolate sweet coconut base combination. There was a lot of sweetness going on. I usually prefer coconut paired with dark chocolate. But Graeter's kind of has a thing going with their chips, so I can see why they wouldn't change it. So this might not be my favorite coconut flavor out there on the market, but I thought it was one of the better Graeter's flavors I've tried.



But here is the question. Does this follow the trend Madeline and I have noticed? Coconut is kind of a fruit, so it kind of fits into the category of tasty fruity Graeter's flavor. But I think some people would consider coconut ice cream to be more of a desserty ice cream, in which case it would not fit the trend.



What do you think? Is coconut a fruity or desserty flavor? Or is the whole system of categories flawed? Are there any desserty flavors made by Graeter's you love? Let me know in the comments!



PS Want a second opinion? Here is what The Ice Cream Informant and On Second Scoop have to say about this flavor!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd