Three Twins Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

For how much I have loved everything I have tried from this ice cream company, I haven't reviewed many of their products. This is mostly because I have a hard time finding grocery stores selling Three Twins, or I don't shop at grocery stores that do. (Like Whole Paycheck...I mean, Whole Foods... Although, I recently found out there is a Whole Foods exclusive Three Twins flavor, so I'll be making my way over to the St. Louis Whole Foods next time I'm in town. There isn't a Whole Foods anywhere close to Iowa City.)



When I was last at Lucky's Market, I picked up a pint Three Twins. This flavor is described as Quite possibly the perfect flavor pairing with chunks of wow. Organic chocolate ice cream with peanut butter cups.



I'll start with the cups and move to the base, because I am a bit confused about the base. The cups were small, but frequent. It was possible, but difficult to get a bite of base with no cups. The cups were kind of clustered together in groups of three or four. Sometimes, with small cups there is too much chocolate outside and not enough peanut butter inside. These cups had a pretty thin chocolate outside, so this wasn't much of an issue. The chocolate was also hard and gave the ice cream an fun crunch! They were milk chocolate, but not the milkiest milk chocolate you've ever had. Lastly, the peanut butter inside the cups was smooth and sweet.



Now for the base. Based on the description on the front of the pint, I assumed this to be a plain chocolate base. However the blurb on the back, which I will quote at length here, confused me. It reads, "When Three Twins fans called for extra chunkiness in their Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream, we responded by sourcing custom organic peanut butter cups - and the result is a perfectly fantastic flavor pairing!" This leads me to believe there was once a chocolate peanut butter base ice cream, to which chocolate peanut butter cups were added, to make this ice cream.




In addition, peanut butter is listed in the ingredients separate from the peanut butter cups.




There was no visible peanut butter swirl or anything similar. However, I did detect a bit of peanut flavor in the ice cream. This flavor was pure and simple lying underneath the sweet cocoa flavor on top of the flavor profile. The peanut flavor reminded me of Spanish peanuts and peanut oil, as opposed to a sweetened peanut butter flavor. However, I thought the peanut flavor in the base could have been stronger.



Lastly, the texture of this flavor was a litter softer, smoother/slicker, and airier than I remember other Three Twins flavors being.



All in all, this flavor was good, but didn't knock my socks off like the other flavors from them I've tried. Also, the existence of this flavor potentially breaks down my hypothesis that this company is, in fact, owned by my father. Not that he doesn't like chocolate peanut butter, but I don't think anyone would say it is a distinctively Dan flavor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd