Haagen-Dazs Caramelized Banana Chip Gelato

I can't even talk about the Haagen-Dazs coupon business anymore. It is too painful. I can't deal with it. So here's another Haagen-Dazs review.



But in reality, my life isn't too miserable. Haagen-Dazs has release some pretty interesting gelato flavors I have been ignoring for the past year or so. I like the pomegranate flavor, and this banana flavor sounded interesting. There aren't a ton of banana flavors out there on the market. I also don't love banana ice creams. Granted, the last time I had a banana ice cream was years ago. I had the Ben & Jerry's Banana Split flavor and did not like it. It was so strongly and artificially banana flavored. I love bananas, but not over ripe tasting bananas or banana products. Like banana chips, dried bananas, and frozen bananas are gross.



This flavor is described as Delectably sweet, Haagen-Dazs Caramelized Banana Chip gelato blends rich caramelized banana gelato with semi-sweet chocolatey chips, creating an exceptionally smooth indulgence that's light on your palate. 



I'm gonna start with the chips because I don't have a ton to say about them. They were frequent, which was good, and in the middle of the semi-sweet zone. The bitterness worked well with the super sweet base. However, you could tell they were not real chocolate (if you didn't know, when an ice cream company uses the word chocolatey it is code for, we are cheap and didn't use real chocolate). They weren't brittle like real semi-sweet chocolate chips would be. Instead they were soft and kind of weirdly smooth.

Now the base. It was strongly banana flavored, almost too-ripe for my taste. It was also incredibly sweet. But not as artificial and strongly flavored as other banana flavors. I mean, it couldn't be artificial tasting, because they do use banana puree, not artificial flavoring. Which is a plus. However, this is a caramelized banana base, not a banana base. Caramelized bananas have an over ripe flavor and extra sweetness. So this wasn't my favorite base of all time, but I think it was a pretty accurate representation of caramelized bananas.

If you like banana ice cream, I strongly recommend this flavor. If you're on the fence, this is a better bet than other products out there.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd