Ben and Jerry's Banana Split

I feel like I haven't reviewed a good old Ben and Jerry's flavor in a long time, and I'm not sure if this counts.  I recently picked up a pint of their Banana Split flavor, and I don't think I've ever seen it before in my entire life.  Also, I think this was the only/last pint of the flavor on the shelf.  This flavor is

Banana and strawberry ice cream with walnuts, fudge chunks and a fudge swirl.

This ice cream was decent, but I don't think anything will ever be as good as an actual banana split.  There's just no comparison.


I'm not a huge fan of banana ice cream.  It's a flavor that's really, really, really easy to do poorly, and when it's disgusting it's really disgusting.  Like a banana Runt.  Do people remember that candy? I don't think anyone liked the banana ones.  When it's good it's just ok.  I'm sure there's a stellar banana ice cream out there, I've just never experienced it.  Ben and Jerry's falls into the 'good' banana ice cream flavor.  Both here and in the more famous Chunky Monkey the banana flavor is not repulsive and the flavor is redeemed by excellent mix-in choices.


The strawberry ice cream here was also pretty good with soft, gooey chunks of strawberry mixed in.  I know Ben and Jerry's has a plain strawberry flavor (that I've never seen on shelves), but I can't think of any other flavor that uses strawberry ice cream as the base.  They should really fix this as they do a decent strawberry.

The two base flavors were mixed but not over-mixed.  It was easy to get just one flavor per spoonful or mix them if you so desired.

The walnuts were large chunks that tended to appear in clumps, but were still frequent throughout the pint.  I think the walnut element was the key to making the banana ice cream tolerable.  Banana nut, and specifically banana walnut is such a classic combination and works so well, and it was no different here.


The fudge chunks were your standard Ben and Jerry's fudge chunks.  Nothing much to say there.  I wished there were more of them as the flavor needed a lot more chocolate to truly feel like a banana split.  The fudge swirl was also disappointing.  It was good, but the swirls were pretty thin and got lost amongst all of the other elements.  I think a really thick, gooey fudge swirl would have pushed this ice cream to the next level.

This is not the best Ben and Jerry's flavor I've ever had, but it's not bad either.  I'm glad I snagged it, as I can check off one more item on my list of untried Ben and Jerry's flavors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd