Dairy Queen Salted Caramel Truffle

Confession time.  I eat so many Blizzards from Dairy Queen, but I don't always post about them.  The Metro stop near my school is a 2 minute walk from a Dairy Queen, so every time I'm getting off the train at school I stop for a Blizzard.  OBVIOUSLY.  Here is a review of a non-flavor-of-the-month Blizzard from a recent train ride.

I had my eye on the Brownie Batter flavor, but when I got up to the counter to order I was struck with indecision.  I confidently said, "I'll have a...." and then trailed off and made a really weird sound of uncertainty.  The guy at the counter laughed.  Then I changed my mind and decided to get a Salted Caramel Truffle Blizzard instead.  This year is Dairy Queen's 75th anniversary, so they re-vamped their Blizzard menu and rolled out a whole line of 'Fanniversary' Blizzard flavors, including the Salted Caramel Truffle.

I was expecting vanilla soft serve with salted caramel truffles and maybe caramel swirls, so it was quite a shock when I got something totally unexpected:

The all-new Salted Caramel Truffle Blizzard treat is the official Fanniversary Blizzard treat.  With the deliciously decadent Salted Caramel Truffles, this Blizzard treat also packs buttery toffee pieces, rich cocoa fudge, and choco chunks, all blended with creamy vanilla soft serve.


Not only was this surprising, it was also surprisingly good.  The cocoa fudge combined with the vanilla soft serve to make what was essentially a chocolate base.  It was awesome because instead of plain chocolate ice cream, it was fudge-y chocolate ice cream.

Other than the base, the toffee pieces stood out the most to me.  It was some of the best toffee mix-in I've had in a long while.  The pieces were tiny, which was appropriate since they were not supposed to be the main focus, but they were crunchy enough to boldly declare their presence.  Despite their small size, they had a rich, bold, buttery taste.

The caramel truffles were a bit bigger, but flavor-wise were easy to miss.  They had a chocolate shell, so if you weren't paying attention it felt like one more chocolate note in the sea of the chocolate base.  If you took a second to bite into a truffle, the caramel flavor did come through.  I didn't actually get a really salty vibe from the truffles, but I was ok with that.  I think the combination of a really salty caramel and really buttery toffee might have been too much.

The chocolate pieces were really small and crunchy, and added texture rather than flavor.  They would have stood out more without the fudge.

Don't get this Blizzard if you are expecting simple salted caramel, but if a concoction full of madness and toffee appeals to you, go for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd