New-to-me Brand Alert! Julie's Organic Java Chip Ice Cream

Because I am sure you have been waiting with bated breath, here it is! The brand of the second pint I bought at Lucky's Market has been revealed!! I was drawn to pick up this pint for a couple of reasons. First, Madeline and I don't review a ton of organic ice creams, so it is good to add some to our repertoire. Second, I thought the design on the pint was beautiful!



Now a bit about Julie's. First, they are located in Oregon, which is not surprising at all. In addition to ice cream pints, Julie's offers frozen yogurt, sorbet, dairy-free ice creams, bars and sandwiches of all kinds (including gluten-free)! From their website, it looks like they have a bunch of interesting flavors like Pomegranate Cranberry with Vanilla, Toasted Coconut & Pineapple, Cinnamon Apple Yogurt, Mandarin and Cream sorbet, and Caramel Macaroon dairy-free.  I could keep listing flavors, but I am going to stop torturing myself. They only sold a couple of the more standard ice cream flavors at Lucky's, and none of the ones I listed. I am going to have to hunt for Julie's to find some of these flavors!

There is no description of the flavor on the pint, but luckily, this flavor is pretty self explanatory.

Aren't these the cutes chips you ever did see?


The best part of this ice cream was the chips. They weren't the best chocolate I've ever had or anything. They were good chocolate, a bit dark and bitter. However, I love their shape! They were the shape of real chocolate chips. Like the shape of a teardrop or Hershey's Kisses as opposed to some lame rectangular prism which you find in most ice creams. They were also frequent through out the pint. They were also itty bitty and adorable. They were a touch bigger than Nerds candy or GrapeNuts cereal. (I feel like Madeline and I use Nerds as a size indicator a lot, but there isn't much else this size I can think of to make a good comparison!)



The coffee base was pretty good, but not my favorite I've ever had. It was much sweeter than I would have liked. The coffee flavor itself, however, was quite tasty and strong. It was complex and there were some nutty notes. I guess the reason I didn't like how sweet it was is because the coffee flavor was delicious enough it didn't need sweetness to enhance or cover anything up!

Lastly, the texture of this ice cream was hard, but also a bit chewy. There was a decent amount of air in it, adding to the chewy and fluffiness of it, which I enjoyed a lot. There was also a touch of pull to the texture of this ice cream.



Although my knowledge of organic ice creams is not at all vast, if you like to eat organic, Julie's is definitely a good bet. I will also be on the look out for other Julie's flavors, because I had a good experience with this flavor and it looks like they have some creative flavors out there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd