Sweet Science Caramel Apple Cider Crisp

I finally, FINALLY have a review of the last of the three pints of Sweet Science I picked up at their September free tasting.  I had a cold for a really long time and wanted to wait until my sense of taste and sense of smell were back to normal before digging in to this ice cream.  I remembered loving it at the tasting, and didn't want anything to get in the way of that.  This flavor is

Organic apple cider ice cream swirled with honey caramel and our gluten free streusel for crunch. Simply amazing.



Fall flavors are everywhere.  Most brands do a pumpkin/pumpkin pie/pumpkin spice.  Fewer brands do apple pie/caramel apple.  I have never seen an apple cider ice cream before, and I definitely see why.  Oh wow, that sounds like I hated the flavor and I didn't, it's just kind of a weird concept.  For me, imagining a combination of tart, acidic apple cider and cream seems a bit gross; along the lines of combining orange juice and milk.


There was a bit of that weirdness going on me for me but it wasn't bad.  The ice cream did taste like straight-up apple cider, and really, really good apple cider at that.  The caramel swirl was light, and served more of a bridge between the apple cider and the ice cream than as a stand-alone element.  This was ok, because I really really needed that bridge.  I don't know why, but I just couldn't get over how weird the apple cider/ice cream combo sounded to me.


The streusel was the the MVP of the ice cream.  It was amazing on its own and tied everything else together and made the flavor cohesive.  It added cinnamon and spice, which were missing in the other elements.  It was dense and crumbly.  Also, there was SO much of it.  I felt like about half of the pint was ice cream with streusel mixed in and the other half of the pint was streusel with ice cream mixed in.

This is a fall-only flavor, and if you love apple cider I recommend picking it up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd