Steve's Speculoos Cookie Butter Dairy-Free Ice Cream

Moving to a new place is fun and exciting, especially because it means new food adventures! In addition to new scoop shops, there are new grocery stores to visit. My roommate suggested I check out a new grocery store in town, Lucky's Market. Lucky's is a chain grocery store I would say is somewhere on the continuum between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It isn't quite as expensive and snobbish as Whole Foods, but not quite as cheap as Trader Joe's, as it does carry a lot of different brands.



When I shopped there last weekend, I picked up two pints of ice cream. One pint was of a brand new to me (which I won't reveal until I write the review!!) and a pint of Steve's. I have only had one flavor of Steve's before this, but not for lack of trying. Their flavors sound incredibly interesting, but they aren't sold in a ton of stores. Steve's is also descended from the scoop shop that first mixed candies and such into ice cream. What I'm trying to say is they invented the mix-in. So they are sort of a BFD. Kinda like the BFG except it means Big Fucking Deal. So actually not at all like the BFG. Whatever.



So I was super excited when I saw their Speculoos Cookie Butter flavor at Lucky's. I love cookie butter, and have been searching for the perfect cookie butter ice cream. The Ben & Jerry's cookie core was good, but there were other flavors besides cookie butter. I would love to find a perfect 100% cookie butter and nothing else ice cream. After watching a rave review of this flavor from ice cream blogger, Powered By Ice Cream, I was stoked to finally find this flavor.

This flavor is described as A traditional Dutch gingerbread dessert transformed into a delicious frozen treat. Speculoos cookie butter and speculoos cookies folded into dairy-free organic coconut cream. It will instantly be your new favorite flavor and one pint may not be enough!

Nope. Not worth sharing. This was too tasty for me to share it with you. Sorry I'm not sorry.


This flavor is also made with Wafels & Dinges. Wafels & Dinges is a food truck and store front in New York City. The basic premise of Wafels & Dinges is they put Dinges on Wafels. Wafels being various forms of Belgian waffles and dinges being thingies or toppings. You can also get ice cream on your waffle. One of their toppings is speculoos spread, and they also have speculoos ice cream. So I'm not totally sure if Wafels & Dinges contributed the cookie butter, the cookies, or both, but they are some how involved.



I have two contrasting feelings about this ice cream, one is a bad feeling, one is a good feeling. I'll start with the bad, because I like this ice cream enough to want to end on a good note. The bad feeling: there could have been more cookies. In the whole pint I would say I got about 5 of the bigger cookie pieces. The cookies themselves were great. Soft, moist, and full of speculoos flavor. But if you are going to boast about "the art of the mix-in" then you've got to show me some cookies! The flavor of the base of this ice cream was a more mild speculoos flavor, and the cookies provided the umph. But there wasn't enough umph. Like if you keep cookie butter at home, buy this ice cream and spread some cookie butter on top, and then you've got the level cookie butter flavor I am looking for.

Now the good feeling. Wowzers is this an fantastic dairy-free flavor! In a lot of dairy free flavors the taste of the base milk is quite perceptible, but in this flavor it wasn't. The texture was also incredibly rich and thick. The one minor draw back was it was a bit gummy and as it melted it didn't get liquidy, which is probably related to the gummienss. In the ingredients, of course, there is guar gum and locust bean gum. But I have also had dairy ice creams gummier than this flavor. And you probably wouldn't notice the gumminess if you didn't know this was a dairy free flavor. Flavor and texture, this is hands down the best dairy free flavor I've ever had.



I'm going to continue to dream of my perfect speculoos flavor. But definitely will be adding more Steve's dairy-free flavors into my rotation!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd