New-to-Me Brand Alert! Dannon Oikos Cookies & Cream Greek Frozen Yogurt

When yogurt became a trendy food, frozen yogurt quickly followed. And again, when, more recently, Greek yogurt became a trendy food, Greek frozen yogurt has quickly followed. Both of these types of products are supposed to be healthier alternatives to ice cream. Which I think is inherently silly. When I am eating ice cream, I am trying to eat as unhealthily as possible. But whatever.



There are sort of two types of players in this Greek and regular frozen yogurt game. Ice cream companies turning their ice cream products into yogurt (or coming up with new flavors of yogurt) and yogurt companies moving into making a frozen dessert. However, I definitely believe frozen yogurt is closer to a frozen dessert than it is to yogurt, so I am inclined to think an ice cream company would make a better frozen yogurt than a yogurt company. However, I'm now realizing the only frozen yogurts I've reviewed are from frozen yogurt shops (which is something altogether completely different) and one pretty mediocre store brand frozen yogurt. So I'm going into evaluating this Dannon Oikos Greek Frozen Yogurt with a clean slate; nothing to compare it to.



This flavor is described as Chunks of decadent cookie blended into creamy-thick greek frozen yogurt that's a good source of protein too!



Overall, Dannon, you did a great job with this frozen yogurt. The base was a bit too sweet for my taste, but otherwise it tasted like a standard vanilla base. There were flecks of chocolate cookie throughout the pint, and occasionally large cookie chunks. The cookies were soft, but not soggy, and had good flavor. In flavor and texture, I would put them somewhere between an Oreo cookie and a cookie of an ice cream sandwich.



There were only two ways to tell this was a frozen yogurt, as opposed to an ice cream. And I feel they are both basically unavoidable. First, this flavor tasted thin. There was something missing. The missing flavor, was of course, cream. You don't realize how important the taste of cream is to ice cream until it is gone. However, Dannon Oikos wasn't making ice cream, so they couldn't put cream in it. Second, the texture was also a bit thin and not creamy. When it melted, it became a thin liquid. But again, what are they going to do?! The texture was also fluffy which made up for the lack of thickness and creaminess. Lastly, this yogurt didn't have the signature tangy taste of Greek Yogurt, but I don't think I would have wanted it. This yogurt, did, however, have a decent amount of protein: 6 grams per serving!



Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this product. I enjoyed it, but I have no idea how it would stack up to similar products on the market!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd