Haagen-Dazs Dark Chocolate Chip

Let me set the scene for you.  It's late at night.  Your desk lamp casts a small circle of light that is a weak defense against the slowly seeping darkness.  You've been wrestling with a math problem all day.  You would like to quit, but the homework is due tomorrow.  More importantly, you are no quitter, but you begin to wonder what your fate will be on this lonesome night, and you begin to doubt your ability to finish.  You decide the only way out of this abyss is to eat your feelings.

This was me at approximately 11pm on Tuesday night.  (So I realize that 11pm is not that late, but since I wake up at 5:30am to run, I'm super tired by 11. Hashtag grumble-brag.)  Luckily, I picked up a pint of Haagen-Dazs Dark Chocolate Chip gelato earlier that day.  This gelato is

Decadent and creamy, our dark chocolate chip gelato perfectly blends bittersweet chocolatey chips into dark chocolate gelato.



I didn't find the chocolate base particularly dark.  It was definitely darker than your standard chocolate base, but not DARK.  I think when I think dark chocolate, I think at least 70% cacao, but other people might not like to go so extreme.  To me this sat right at the border between milk chocolate and dark chocolate, like a high-quality dark-ish milk chocolate.  The flavor was rich and full, but one-note.  (Although, if you had to pick one note, chocolate is not a bad one!)


The chocolate chips were a bit darker, which was a nice contrast.  They had that perfect crunchy/chewy/soft balance where you can bite through a chip but it still kind of feels melty and chewy.  Ahhhh, how do I describe it!?

I was a little worried when I first opened this pint because the top of the gelato looked too slick and almost slimy, but the texture ended up being pretty decent.  It had the slickness you expect with gelato, but was a bit airy.

It looks so slippery!

This is the perfect gelato with which to eat your feelings.  Why?  It is really good and really chocolatey, but not so good that you want to sit there and savor it.  You can kind of sit there and enjoy it and be sad/mad/angry without also feeling guilty that you are wasting good ice cream.  This is critical.  Also, since there's a lot of chocolate going on and not much else, you can just kind of zen out into the chocolatey vastness and not worry that you are missing out on subtler flavors or not fully appreciating the flavor.  Guys, there's a perfect ice cream for every situation.  EVERY. Situation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd