Talenti Tiramisu Gelato

I haven't yet found any of the new Talenti flavors for 2016, but there is a silver lining to this very dark cloud.  I love checking things off of lists and checking everything off of a list (side note, it makes me very sad that I will never be able to check all of the ice cream in the world off of my list), and not being able to find 2016 flavors means I might be able to try all of the 2015 flavors first.  I only had Tiramisu and Coffee Toffee left to try.  Tiramisu has been incredibly hard to find, but I found a single pint of it at Whole Foods this week.  This gelato is described as

What do you do when you love a dessert? You make it proud.  Our Tiramisu Gelato elaborates upon its Italian foundation with hints of coffee, Marsala wine, Amaretto, mascarpone cheese and a dulce de leche ribbon.  Here's looking at you Tiramisu.




I hate to break it to you, Talenti, but you did not do Tiramisu proud.  I worked in an Italian restaurant for a while, so I have had good Tiramisu and know what it is supposed to taste like, and this gelato failed on so many levels.

If I had been made to guess the flavor of this gelato I would have guessed either coffee or espresso.  As a coffee gelato it was wonderful.  The coffee flavor was full and rich and round.  Unfortunately every single other element of Tiramisu was missing.  Where were the lady fingers? Where was the brandy?  Where was the mascarpone?

Although I couldn't explicitly taste the mascarpone, I think it helped make this flavor richer than your typical coffee flavored ice cream or gelato, but I would have liked more of a cheese vibe.  I couldn't taste the wine or amaretto at all.  In fact, they were not listed in the ingredients unless they were included in natural flavors.  Please, Talenti, don't straight-up lie to people.  Rude.

Do you see any swirl in there, because I don't!

The most egregious omission was the lady fingers.  YOU CANNOT HAVE TIRAMISU WITHOUT LADY FINGERS.  I repeat.  YOU CANNOT HAVE TIRAMISU WITHOUT LADY FINGERS.  What the actual fuck.

I won't even mention the swirl because it was so thin and tiny that I couldn't differentiate it from the base.  Also, lol, what are you doing putting dulce de leche in tiramisu!?

The texture was a little bit chewier than is typical of Talenti.  I took this home on the bus, so I though that might be the reason, but reading other reviews, it seems like this did have a slightly strange texture.

Although this was a good coffee gelato, it was a travesty of a Tiramisu gelato.  Harumph.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd