Sweet Science Lavender White Chocolate

I recently attended my second Sweet Science free tasting, this one held at Five Watt Coffee.  Going in to the event, I knew I would be coming home with a pint of their February flavor Lavender White Chocolate before I even tried it.  It was too unique to pass up.  Lavender is one of my favorite scents and I couldn't wait to try it in ice cream form.  I liked the small sample I tried, so I got even more excited to take home my pint and break it open.  Lavender White Chocolate is

Behind the hints of white chocolate sweetness we've tossed in luscious notes of lavender to add just the right amount of flavor, giving this little number the perfect balance.  It's a blend that works together seamlessly and deliciously, and will have you coming back for more.



I really liked this flavor, but it took quite a long time to grow on me.  I do not have lavender in food very often, so my brain associates the smell of lavender with things like deodorant, perfume, and potpourri. I know intellectually that taste and smell are related, and I of course have had the experience of flavors tasting less intense with a stuffy nose, but this ice cream made me really understand that taste and smell are intimately related.  My mouth was tasting the ice cream saying, "Mmmmmm, yes this is tasty, GIVE ME MOAR," but my brain was all like, "Bitch, why are you eating potpourri, get a grip!"  It was a totally freaky experience.

By my third go at this flavor, the brain weirdness had abated a bit and I was able to just enjoy the flavor.  Although the description purports that the white chocolate flavor is dominant and the lavender is more hidden, I felt the opposite was true.  Lavender was the dominant flavor and was mellowed out by hints of white chocolate sweetness.


The texture was typical of Sweet Science, but atypical of other ice creams.  It was creamy and smooth to an extreme degree without very much air; just on the edible and delicious side of too smooth.

To me, Sweet Science's line consists mostly of 'plain exotic' ice creams.  They pick an exotic flavor, execute it very well without muddying it up with crazy mix-ins (although when they do mix-ins, they do them extremely well).  Lavender White Chocolate definitely fits this mold, but I found myself wishing there was a simple mix-in in this flavor.  Maybe white chocolate flakes to enhance the white chocolatey-ness or a really light honey swirl.  All in all though, I thoroughly enjoyed this flavor, mix-ins or no.

If you're a fan of lavender or uncommon flavors, hunt down a pint of Lavender White Chocolate this month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd