Downtown Minneapolis Yogurt Lab

I've reviewed Yogurt Lab flavors before, but it's high time I reviewed the chain using Lizzy's patented 8-step fro-yo review process.

If you don't live in Minneapolis or haven't read my previous reviews of this fro-yo chain, Yogurt Lab is a chain of science-themed frozen yogurt shops in Minneapolis.  They list their flavors periodic table-style.  It's super cute!

I'll just dive right in with the 8 questions we at the Big Muddy use to assess a frozen yogurt shop.

1) The variety of flavors: is there a good selection?

Yogurt Lab has a ton of flavors in rotation.  There were 8 to 10 flavors at the downtown location today, and there were a good mix of fruity, chocolatey, and 'other' (think caramel, cookies and cream, etc ...) flavors.  A little something for everyone.

2) The flavor of my choices.

Today I chose lime frozen yogurt.  I had grand visions of making a lime pie themed dessert, but you'll see later why that kind of failed.  This flavor was way better than I was expecting it to be.  It was really, really tart, which surprised me, but there was enough sweetness that it was still edible.

3)  The quality of the combination of my choices.

I was a flavor purist today, and only got a single flavor of frozen yogurt.


4) The texture of the fro yo.

Yogurt Lab yogurt, particularly their fruity and tart flavors, has a slightly different texture than other frozen yogurt I've eaten, but I can't quite think of the right word to describe that difference.  It's sort of ... crispier?  You put your spoon in and don't have to work to get a spoonful.  Instead, it was as if a bite-sized chunk just broke off.  Re-reading that description, it almost sounds as if the frozen yogurt is somehow dry, but it most definitely is not.

5) The variety of the toppings.

I love Yogurt Lab toppings.  They have some candy, but not a huge variety and they have some cereals, but again, not a huge variety.  They stand out to me for their less typical toppings.  They have a great selection of fresh fruit including berries and kiwi.  Also, they have three different kinds of boba and three different kinds of mochi.  There are also a variety of sauces.  As far a chocolatey toppings go, they have there are chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, crushed candy bars of various varieties, this really good almond-chocolate sauce stuff (I wish I knew what it was called!).  The flavor offerings pretty much stay the same although the candy selection may occasionally change.



6) Quality of the toppings.

Candy is candy and cereal is cereal so I don't really need to describe the quality of those toppings.  The mochi and boba are my favorite toppings and they are simply great.

7) How well my toppings coordinated with my fro yo flavors.

To go with my lime fro yo, I chose strawberry boba, coconut, raspberries, and pie crust pieces.  I was hoping they would have crushed graham crackers so I could add graham crackers and marshmallow sauce for a lime pie vibe.  Instead I went the fruity route.  The sweetness from the strawberry boba and the raspberries really helped balance the tartness of the yogurt.

8) Overall experience.

I love Yogurt Lab (except for their abysmal avocado flavor).  It's always such a fun experience, and you're always guaranteed at least one weird-ish or out of the ordinary flavor to try.  I also really lyke the whole 'science' theme.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd