Great Value Sea Salt Caramel Truffle

A looooong time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) someone made a request that we review Great Value Salted Caramel Truffle ice cream.  I rarely go to Wal-Mart because Minneapolis is the land of Target and the closest Wal-Mart is still slightly far away, and when I did go specifically to pick up this flavor there was none on the shelf.  I took this as a good sign that the flavor was as great as our reader claimed.  Months later I finally returned to Wal-Mart and was able to snag Salted Caramel Truffle.  By this point, I was quite trepidatious after reading Lizzy's review panning Great Value Coffee ice cream.  How could a brand that produced something that bad also produce something even approaching edible?  Well, contradictions abound because this ice cream was pretty damn good.

This is described as "Sea salt caramel ice cream with sea salt caramel swirl and truffle candy pieces."



The base was a plain caramel, light and mild and sweet.  I appreciate the choice of a light, non-salted caramel over a salted caramel base to keep the overall flavor from being too salty.  Hooray for balance and moderation (something often lacking in salty flavors)!

The swirl was thick and distinctly salty but not overwhelmingly so.  Again, the swirl used a lighter, more mild caramel then is typical for salted caramel which allowed for a more refined, as opposed to bold, flavor.  Unfortunately there wasn't a lot of swirl in the ice cream.


The chocolate truffle candies gave this flavor some much needed depth and richness.  These were standard truffle mix in size and were well distributed throughout the pint.

The texture is the only thing that prevents me from giving this ice cream a super stellar rating.  It really wasn't that bad, but it was just gummy enough to give away its origins as a 'value brand' ice cream.  Other than the texture (which was barely gummy enough for me to mention it) this ice cream was superb! I'm glad this was recommended to me, as I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise.

Comments

  1. 11/2019 Great Value "Sea Salt & Caramel," tasty and reasonable, has been replaced by "Salted Caramel Blondie": tasteless and expensive. I'll not buy another Salted Caramel Blondie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with S.S. McDonald. I grabbed it in hopes it might taste similar. It didn't. They brought back this popular flavor for a little while. And it's gone again. Honestly, there are other crappy flavors that no one enjoys as much as this. But they keep yanking it. Honestly, it's the one ice cream I would actually pay $5 for if they needed to up the price from the $2.97 they charge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd