New-to-Me Brand!! Capanna Gelato Turtle Mocha

These past few weeks have been quite exciting for me on the ice cream front. I received my first ever free ice cream as a blogger from New Orleans Ice Cream Co., I got some coupons from Luna and Larry's, I finally found Cake My Day last night at HyvVee and three of the Ben & Jerry's Non-Dairy flavors!! In addition, you may remember that not long ago I hit up New Pioneer Co-Op for the first time, and when I reviewed Ciao Bella Sea Salt Caramel Gelato Squares I mentioned seeing a new brand of gelato.



Well I've finally eaten that gelato and did the research on what brand this was. This is not any old gelato brand, this is gelato from a gelateria right here in IOWA! I've tried all of the local frozen desserts around Iowa City, but I haven't yet expanded my sights to the greater Iowa River Corridor region, including Cedar Rapids and North Liberty. In fact, I haven't even done research on what exists. So of course when I picked up this pint of Turtle Mocha, I had no idea that Capanna was a mere 20 minute drive away in North Liberty and now even closer with a new shop in Coralville! (But sad day, there used to be a shop in Iowa City that closed a couple of years ago. :( Bring it back!!) Hopefully, I'll be able to drive out North Liberty or Coralville soon and give you a review of the full Capanna scoop shop/coffee shop experience!




In the mean time, a review of the Turtle Gelato. There's no description of the flavor on the pint or on Capanna's website, but when I think turtle, I think caramel, chocolate, and pecans! To add coffee to the mix? Yes, please! The picture on the pint of the gelato (probably as it appears in the store) also had me quite excited.



But I'm not going to mess around, I was disappointed with this gelato. It was quite falsely advertised. As a mocha gelato, it was great. The coffee flavor was strong, and the chocolate flavor was sweet and milky.



But I found no evidence of pecans. There may have also been the thinnest caramel swirl you've ever not been sure you actually saw, but I definitely tasted no caramel. The texture of the gelato was also good. It was soft, and scooped easily right when you took it out of the freezer. It was also smooth and creamy. There was also variety in the texture, maybe evidence of it being handmade? Some sections were denser than others. However, it didn't detract from the experience at all. And living up to its name, this gelato, in addition to being soft, smooth, and creamy, packed a much smaller caloric punch than an ice cream of similar quality.




Overall I was quite disappointed by this flavor. But looking at the pictures of gelato on the Capanna website and the picture on this pint of gelato, I am definitely willing to give them another chance.


Comments


  1. The blogs are really appreciable and one can trust the knowledge and information provided in the writing.The article you do produce on a weekly base
    really the best. I have found a similar website gelato ice cream cake visit the site to know more about Pure Gelato.

    ReplyDelete

  2. You have discussed an interesting topic that everybody should know. Very well explained with examples. I have found a similar
    website ice cream wholesale visit the site to know more about gelatosales.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd