New Orleans Ice Cream Company Mardi Gras Pie

AND SO IT BEGINS. If you were not already aware, New Orleans Ice Cream Co. sent me 14 pints of ice cream and 4 ice cream sandwiches. This is the first time Big Muddy has received for real frozen ice cream in the mail for free. This may be revealing our n00b status in the ice cream blogging world, but I also think Madeline and I are a bit more shy about asking for free ice cream than others are. Also neither of us have a ton of money for extra freezer space (dat grad school lyfe), and I do want to shout out right now to my roommates for graciously letting me take up way more than my part of the freezer space.

The first flavor I tried was Mardi Gras Pie. I had no real system for picking out which flavor I wanted to eat first, this was simply the one at the front of the freezer. And this means I get to reveal myself as totally not a southerner. I have no idea what a Mardi Gras Pie is. The description of this flavor is It's Mardi Gras in Your Mouth With This Parade Favorite. Gooey Marshmallow Ice Cream with Marshmallow Swirls, Chocolate Flakes & Soft Graham Cracker. You'll Be Hollerin': "Throw Me One, Mister!"




To me this description sounds like s'mores. So then why exactly is some Mister throwing pies in my mouth?? However, a quick Google search has informed me that a Mardi Gras Pie is actually a Moon Pie. Now I guess I'm a little bit of a southerner, because I do know what a Moon Pie is. For those of you who have never crossed the Mason Dixon line, down there in the South, they like to put chocolate on the outside of s'mores and call them Moon Pies. Which I'm totally okay with because they are packaged and sold in stores. Like its lame that s'mores are reserved for those weird times when you're hanging out around a fire in the wilderness. In the South, you don't have those limitations.

Now, Moon Pies are also called Mardi Gras pies because people often throw them out at Mardi Gras Parades.  So yes, I guess I am also totally okay with strangers throwing pies at me.

Sorry for the lack of picture, I thought I took more than I did!


Now for the ice cream. First, I love a good marshmallow base. This base was pretty good. It reminded me more of marshmallow fluff than marshmallows, which I always think of as tasting sweeter and stickier than marshmallows. I'm not sure if sticky is a taste, but I'm rolling with it, because this base was super sweet and you could even call is syrupy. The bas was also an incredibly white white, as was the swirl. I could never see the swirl, and it wasn't any different in flavor from the base, but it had the gooey texture of marshmallow fluff.

And although "soft" might be an interesting adjective to describe graham crackers, these were definitely soft. They also tasted a bit of honey, which then pervaded the entire pint, as there were plenty of graham cracker pieces. The chocolate flakes were as frequent as the graham cracker pieces and similar in size. However, the pieces were thick enough that they had some bite to them. They were milk chocolate, but not bad milk chocolate.

Overall, this flavor was at times a bit too sweet. But I enjoyed it and look forward to eating more New Orleans ice cream!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd