Ben and Jerry's Limited Batch: Cake My Day

Have you tried Cake My Day yet? No? SLAP. Go get some now.  Ben and Jerry's hit it out of the park with their latest limited batch flavor described as "Vanilla cake batter ice cream with vanilla cake pieces, buttercream frosting, and raspberry swirls." (Oxford comma added by me because I'm a believer, so just shut up, mom.)

I've probably mentioned several times on this blog that cake is just not one of my favorite desserts.  It can be really, really good, but too frequently it is bland and dry and boring.  Luckily, that is not the cake this ice cream is modeled on.  Imagine the best vanilla cake you've ever had.  Moist and dense and maybe sliiiigggghhhhttttllly under-baked.  Thick buttercream frosting.  A sweet raspberry filling between layers.  That is the cake this ice cream is modeled on.


The vanilla cake batter base is divine.  On the 'cake batter' to 'cake' scale, it was maybe a bit toward the 'cake' end (for comparison, much less batter-y than recently reviewed Cake Batter, which I don't think gets enough love.  Maybe because it has no mix-ins?), but this worked well with the rest of the flavors because you don't frost a cake or add filling until it's baked.  Ben and Jerry's really had their shit together when it comes to cake batter bases.  I think I would literally pee my pants if they came out with a flavor involving a chocolate cake batter base.  Literally. Maybe a black forest cake flavor with chocolate cake batter base, cherry pie filling and thinly sliced almonds.  (Ben and Jerry's, are you reading this? I can has job as flavor guru pls?)  Note - After I wrote this post I learned that Ben and Jerry's released a Brownie Batter core, so we'll see how that does to fulfill my chocolate batter yearnings.


While I would have eaten this base plain, the mix-ins were also spectacular.  I could see the buttercream frosting, but it kind of hard to distinguish against the flavor of the base.  I do feel like it added some richness and authentic cake feel to the base flavor, so I'm glad it was there.

I think most raspberry cake fillings I've tried have been pretty similar and pretty delicious, you can't go wrong with raspberries and sugar.  The raspberry swirls here reminded me of the apparently universal raspberry cake filling and added just enough tartness to balance the richness of the base.


Finally, the cake pieces.  Imagine cake, but triple the density of the densest cheesecake you have ever eaten and you have the vanilla cake pieces.  There guys were the size of a small die and so thick that they stuck to my teeth.  I felt like I needed a glass of milk to wash down the cake! Delicious!

Definitely try Cake My Day before it is gone for good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd