Ben and Jerry's Cake Batter

There are certain Ben and Jerry's flavors that I know exist but that I rarely or never see in stores; however, every time I go to Tim and Tom's Speedy Market they seem to have a single pint of one or two of these rare flavors.  On my most recent trip they had a pint of Cake Batter AND a pint of Cinnamon Buns.  I snagged the only pint of Cake Batter and thought really hard about grabbing Cinnamon Buns, but ultimately passed.  I'm still a little ashamed to walk out of a grocery store with 5 containers of ice cream and nothing else (but 4 is somehow ok, I don't even know).

Cake Batter is

Yellow cake batter ice cream with a chocolate frosting swirl.



This ice cream tastes and smells exactly like yellow cake batter.  Upon opening the pint I was instantly hit with the wonderful aroma of eggy, buttery batter.  I am not a huge fan of yellow cake.  I mean, if someone hands me a piece I will eat it, but if I have a choice between yellow cake and a different dessert, the other dessert will almost always win.  Yellow cake batter, on the other hand, is amazing.  There is just something about the mixture of eggs, butter, sugar, and vanilla.  I tried to find out what happens during the baking process that alters the flavor of cake batter, but to no avail.  maybe I'll have to take a food science course someday.


Ben and Jerry's did not mess around here.  They didn't make this base too sweet.  They didn't add any gimmicky mix-ins.  They didn't add any crazy colors.  They took something perfect and translated it perfectly into ice cream.  This is easily the best cake batter ice cream I've tried.


The chocolate frosting swirl is also phenomenal.  It is thick and buttery with a chocolate taste that is strong, but not so strong it overpowers the flavor of the base.

I can see why this is not one of the more popular Ben and Jerry's flavors, but I think it deserves more accolades than it currently gets. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd