Gelato Giuliana: La Giuliana

I'm back in Boston, visiting Brett, which means more New England brands and Boston scoop shops! First up is a gelato from Gelato Giuliana, based in New Haven, Connecticut. The name of the company comes from the name of the owner, Giuliana Maravalle, who started making gelato when she couldn't find any she liked in America.

The flavor I chose, La Giuliana, is obviously named for the owner, herself! The flavor is described simply as Espresso, Mascarpone, Chocolate.

I was playing, and winning, an intense game of Catan (as you can see) while eating this gelato, so I forgot to take lots of pictures!


As you can tell, this is a tiramisu-type flavor. Compared to other tiramisu products I've tried, this one seems quite simple, which is exciting. There is also no lady finger element, so we will see how this holds up.



To give you a slightly more in-depth description, this gelato had an espresso and mascarpone base with chocolate flakes. Here is how I feel about chocolate flakes: you are either trying to be cheap (like Prairie Farms or something) or sophisticated. Because for some reason big hunks of chocolate aren't considered classy? Well I think that's lame. I like chocolate. Luckily the chocolate flakes in this dessert were plentiful.

Don't worry, the ice you see here on the top didn't impact the rest of the pint in any way!


The base flavors were surprisingly light in this pint. The mascarpone flavor was barely there underneath the espresso. It almost made the base taste simply like a creamier espresso. If you are a die-hard mascarpone fan, you wouldn't like this. However, with other tiramisu inspired desserts I've tried, the mascarpone flavor can be too heavy handed.

Lastly, the texture of this flavor was great. Probably the best part. It was smooth and slick, while also being dense and creamy. I found on the Gelato Giuliana website their overrun is only 15%! And you can taste it!

Overall, if you want a high quality gelato and a lighter-tasting take on tiramisu, I definitely recommend this gelato. I would love to try more of their flavors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd