Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams St. Louis Scoop Shop

Lizzy got back from Boston on Wednesday, so we obviously planned an ice cream outing for the next day.  We decided on Jeni's.  Lizzy has been to the scoop shop, but I have not.  In fact, I have never had Jeni's ice cream.  The flavors available in stores near me are just not that exciting, so I've never picked up a pint.  Needless to say, I was pretty excited to try this brand for the first time.

Lizzy and I both went with their medium size, which allows you to try 3 flavors.  I chose Pistachio and Honey, Wildberry Lavender, Sweet Potato Pecan Praline.  I'll be honest.  I wasn't expecting to love these flavors as much as I did.  I've heard rumblings that Jeni's is good but overrated, but I thoroughly enjoyed the flavors I picked.  Maybe not enough to buy a $10 pint, but the point is moot since we went to the scoop shop!

I'll review these in order of least loved to most loved.  First up, Sweet Potato Pecan Praline.  This is "Roasted grown-for-us sweet potatoes, cinnamon-brown-sugar pecans, and Ohio grass-grazed milk." I was hoping for a really strong sweet potato flavor, but instead the pecans took center stage.  The pecans were had a perfect milk-soaked softness and the cinnamon and brown sugar coating was present but not overwhelming.  I could see flecks of sweet potato in the base, which tasted strongly of sweet potato in bites without any pecans.


Next, the Pistachio and Honey.  This is "Ground roasted pistachios, honey, cream, and grass-grazed milk.  Pure pistachio flavor with a savory, salted-nut finish."  This was perfection in pistachio ice cream.  I've always liked-but-not-loved the flavor, but I think honey was the element I always felt was missing! This reminded me of pistachio-heavy baklava.  I think if I ever bought a pint of this I would buy or make some filo dough pastry cups for a sundae.

Last but not least, Wildberry Lavender!  This is "Pulverized blackcurrants, cream, grass-grazed milk, lavender, and orange."  From the name alone, I was not expecting any citrus flavor, but the orange was super strong, and I loved it.  The dark berry flavor from the blackcurrants played well with the bright citrus and also gave this flavor its lovely violet color.  The lavender gave the ice cream a light floral flourish that was the perfect finish.



I (Lizzy) also tried the Sweet Potato Pecan Praline. I agree with everything Madeline said about this flavor. However, I would also recommended picking some up next Thanksgiving and eating a scoop with sweet potato casserole to up the sweet potato flavor. Nom.



I also tried Sweet Corn Spoon Bread, described as "Summer sweet corn, honey-butter cornbread straight from our kitchen, and grass-grazed Ohio milk." Okay Jeni's. We get it. You use grass grazed milk and the cows live in Ohio. Now, do you need to include the phrase "grass-grazed Ohio milk" in every ice cream description?? Ice cream descriptions aside, this flavor was fabulous. Every time I eat corn bread, even when it is from a box, I think to myself, "wow this is tasty, why don't I eat this more often?" But then there is the corn bread which is made in casserole dish, with whole corn kernels in it, which I am now learning is called sweet corn spoon bread. When I eat this kind of corn bread, even less often, with butter and honey, obviously, I think to myself, "why do I ever consume calories in any other form (besides ice cream obviously)??" Well imagine that experience magically poofed into ice cream. The base was a sweet corn flavor and there was corn bread crumblings mixed abundantly throughout the ice cream. The corn bread was also sweet, buttery, and rich. Incredible.



The last flavor I tried was Passionfruit Frozen Yogurt. The description of this flavor is "Passionfruit with biodynamic organic yogurt, cream, and grass-grazed milk. Tart with a slightly floral aroma." I have no idea what biodynamic means, but I'm not going to look it up, because I still can't even with the whole grass-grazed nonsense. This froyo tasted strongly of passionfruit, but I thought it was more tart than passionfruit. However, to still pack a punch in froyo form, I think the tartness of passionfruit needs a little amping up. I also enjoyed this as a froyo more than I would have if it were an ice cream. The texture was a bit thinner and obviously not as creamy in texture or flavor, which allowed the tart and the fruitiness to stand out!



All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this Jeni's experience! This is the first time I've had Jeni's and did not think, this was overrated/over-hyped/over-priced! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd