New Orleans Ice Cream Co. White Chocolate Bread Pudding

Bread pudding is not a dessert Madeline and I grew up eating a lot of. And to be honest, the name of the dessert still does not sound appetizing to me. The first time I'd heard of it I was quite confused as to what it was. Was it pudding with chunks of bread in it, like rice pudding? Bread flavored pudding? Bread with pudding on top? When bread pudding was described to me, bread with milk, butter, eggs, cinnamon, sugar, etc. poured on top and baked, the reality of the dessert didn't sound much more appetizing than any of the possibilities I had imagined. Luckily, I tried it anyway. Bread pudding is delicious, and I don't know of any other ice cream company making a bread pudding ice cream!

This flavor is described as Our Version of a New Orleans Classic Dessert has Chunks of White Chocolate Bread Pudding That Hints of Custard and Bourbon Sauce. 




Upon first glance at this pint, I didn't see much of a bourbon sauce swirl, but upon eating the ice cream, I definitely tasted it. I think it was infused into the bread pudding chunks. After recently loving Ciao Bella's Bourbon Caramel Chocolate gelato, I would like to start a petition to get bourbon into every ice cream ever. In this flavor it added some complexity to what is otherwise a simple and sweet flavor.


The bread pudding chunks were definitely the start of this flavor. They were huge and there were plenty of them throughout the pint. They were incredibly dense and moist. Sometimes, when you eat real bread pudding, not all of the bread get thoroughly soaked by the milk, egg, sugar, butter mixture, and there are drier, not as tasty pieces. However, in this ice cream version, there were no such pieces. In addition, there were even a few white chocolate chunks scattered throughout the pint. Lastly, I was a bit confused on the base. There was an eggy, custardiness throughout the pint and the chunks, and other ice cream bloggers have said the base is is custard flavored, and I would have to agree. I didn't think it was white chocolate or sweet cream flavored. But whatever it is, this ice cream was amazing. I'm currently crying about New Orleans Ice Cream Co. not being sold in Iowa. Maybe I will have to make some bread pudding to feel better.

Look at those tasty bread pudding chunks!

Madeline: Lizzy did such a stellar job of describing this ice cream, and her opinions are so in line with mine that there's nothing much I can think to add.  I think ice cream is the perfect vehicle for bread pudding.  Not only is the bread soaked in eggs and milk, it is then soaked in ice cream!  The white chocolate chips gave this flavor some nice variety, and the bourbon was the perfect finishing touch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd