New-to-Us Brand Alert!! New Orleans Ice Cream Co. Mississippi Debris

When Madeline and I ventured to Jeni's last week, we drove by the St. Louis grocery store Straub's. Neither Madeline and I had ever visited this local chain, known to be quite swanky. I was pretty sure Straub's carried New Orleans Ice Cream Co. and Madeline was pretty sure they carried McConnell's Fine Ice Cream, two brands neither of us had tried. Yes, yes, say what you will about us being terrible ice cream bloggers, but Straub's is the only store in St. Louis with these brands and I haven't seen either of them anywhere in Iowa! Although, I guess I can't vouch for Madeline.  (Madeline says she hasn't seen them in Minneapolis and is 99% sure they aren't distributed there.)



While eating Jeni's we decided to swing by Straub's by our way home and see what they sold. Luckily for us, Straub's sells both New Orleans and McConnell's. After almost hyperventilating with joy in the ice cream section (Madeline says: You think we're joking, but we definitely made a scene), we calmed down and each decided to pick one pint of New Orleans and one pint of McConnell's.

New Orleans Ice Cream Co. is obviously based in New Orleans, but is also inspired by flavors of the city and Louisiana. Some of their other flavors include Cafe Au Lait & Beignets, Creole Cream Cheese, Lemon Doberge Cake, and Coffee & Chicory! Mmmmmm.

Mississippi Debris was my New Orleans selection, because from what I had read of this ice cream before the philosophy behind its creation was THROW EVERY MIX-IN EVER CREATED INTO THIS ICE CREAM! Also seeing as this blog is named after the Mississippi River, I figured we were sort of obligated to give this flavor a shot.  (Madeline says: Also, there was major flooding in our area while we were both home, so river debris was appropriate on so many levels.)



The description of this flavor reads Our Rich Chocolate Ice Cream is Chock Full Of Fudge Brownie Pieces, Chocolate Flakes, Truffles, Malt Balls, Choc. Almonds, Cherry Cups & Marshmallow. A Fudge Swirl Completes This. Wow!


If you think this is a long list, wait until you see the ingredients! 


Wow, indeed, New Orleans Ice Cream Co. Wow, indeed. I'm quite certain this is the longest ice cream description I've ever read! They even had to abbreviate chocolate to choc. for the choc. almonds to fit the description on the lid of the pint!

This is a pretty good shot of the fudge swirl!


To start off, the base of this flavor was a standard milky, chocolate base. However, I doubt anyone is going to pick up this flavor because they are excited about the base. Next the mix-ins. The first time I had some of this ice cream I got lots of chocolate flakes, truffles, malt balls, and marshmallows.  All were relatively small; about the size of a mini-marshmallow. I think I might have gotten some brownie pieces, but those were also small, and if what I ate was a brownie piece, they were quite fudgey and easily confused with the truffles and the fudge swirl. The malt balls were interesting. They tasted great and were much harder and crunchier than your typical Whopper. Lastly, the fudge swirl was my favorite type of fudge swirl: actual fudge, not a liquidy, sauce interpretation of fudge. It was delicious. Although I was disappointed to not find any chocolate covered almonds or cherry cups, read on to find out why I'm still giving this flavor two thumbs up!

Mini marshmallows! 

While Lizzy did not get any cherry cups, I certainly did, and they really made this flavor for me! They reminded me of cherry cordials.  The filling was a syrupy, cherry-flavored liquid, just like in a cherry cordial.  We used to get a box of cherry cordials every year in a fruit basket that a member of our dad's congregation would send him.  Because that's what happens when you're a priest.  You get fruit baskets and giant boxes of cheese for Christmas.  And then your family eats unmentionable amounts of cheese for a month.

Although I did get to try the cherry cups, I did not get any malted milk balls.  Clearly the moral of the story is to eat this entire pint by yourself to guarantee that you get to taste all of the mix-ins.  Also, see the long-ass list of ingredients in the two pictures below.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd