Bailey's Range

Man, oh man. Winter break was such an exciting time for ice cream! St. Louis has so many exciting ice cream spots! From ice cream made with liquid nitrogen, to boozy ice cream, to froyo shops, to a burger place also popular for its homemade ice cream! Yep, it is finally time the sisters at Big Muddy took a trip to Bailey's Range in downtown St. Louis.

The last weekend we were in St. Louis, Madeline and I ate at Bailey's Range with some of my friends from college to have an early celebration for my birthday!

In addition to lots of different burgers, Bailey's has 16 ice cream flavors and 3 sorbet flavors to choose from! Not bad for a sit-down burger joint. There are also two flavors are featured in their "Battle" section, which rotate frequently, the idea being that the ice cream that is less popular and loses the battle gets replaced by a new flavor. The two flavors in the "Battle" section when we were there were Mulled Wine and Cookie Dough. We divvied up the "battle" flavors, I got a scoop of cookie dough and Madeline got a scoop mulled wine, and we each chose one other flavor. The other flavor I chose was Strawberry.

Strawberry on the left, cookie dough on the right. Look at the size of those scoops! Also great ~~mood lighting~~


My first comment about Bailey's ice cream is about the portion size. The price for two scoops is $4.50, and each scoop was quite hefty! A good bang for your buck. And not only do you get a good amount of ice cream, the ice cream is tasty, too! The strawberry was delicious and tasted exactly like real strawberries with cream. There were also a few thin chunks of strawberry in the ice cream. These were juicy, frozen strawberries. The cookie dough also tasted great. The base was a strongly flavored vanilla. There were a medium amount of cookie dough chunks, and they were on the small side. Each was a bit bigger than a garbanzo bean. The chunks were incredibly dense and moderately moist. With each cookie dough chunk there were one or two mini chocolate chips. Although they were small, I could still tell they were delicious, smooth dark chocolate.

A chunk of cookie dough.


The one aspect of this ice cream I didn't love was the texture. It was a bit milky and icy. I even found a couple of ice bits in my strawberry ice cream. Granted, they could have come from the strawberry chunks, but I also remember the last time I had Bailey's, which was quite a few years ago, also finding some ice chunks in the flavor I had.

Overall, Bailey's is a super fun outing, and the flavors of the ice cream are great, while the texture could use a bit of work.

Mulled Wine on the left and Triple Chocolate on the right
Guys.  I legit got carded to buy this Mulled Wine ice cream.  I wonder what the alcohol percentage has to be to get carded on a non-alcohol alcoholic food.  I second Lizzy on the texture.  The Mulled Wine was a bit icy for my liking, but this may have had something to do with the alcohol content.  The flavor, on the other hand, was superb.  I would almost describe it as a cozy, warm flavor despite the fact that it is chilly ice cream.  The wine flavor was not overpowering and let the spices stand out.  There was no description, but generally mulled wine uses cloves, cinnamon, orange peel and the like.  The cinnamon and cloves gave it a deep spiciness while the orange added some zest to brighten up the overall flavor.  Also, this was surprisingly refreshing (reminded me a bit of how sangria is refreshing).  I think whatever wine was used was pretty sweet and fruity, which was a nice choice for use in ice cream.

The three chocolates of triple chocolate were chocolate ice cream, chocolate chunks, and white chocolate chunks.  I did not have any of the aforementioned texture issues with the Triple Chocolate ice cream.  It was incredibly smooth, dense, and creamy.  Honestly, it didn't even need the chocolate chunks, but since they were in there, I'll review them!  The chocolate chunks were small rectangular prisms.  The milk chocolate ones were very similar to the base so they added some texture, but not any unique flavor.  The white chocolate chunks also didn't add too much flavor either as white chocolate is a much milder flavor than chocolate.  The base was awesome enough to make up for the lackluster chunks, and I really enjoyed this flavor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd