Sweet Science Cranberry Grapefruit Sorbet

I need to get something out of the way at the beginning of this review.  I dislike both cranberry and grapefruit.  I hate cranberry juice and cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving (ok, the homemade stuff isn't terrible, but the canned stuff is atrocious).  I cringe at the thought of grapefruit for breakfast.  I decided to grab this flavor anyway because I can't resist a unique dessert.  My boyfriend Kyle loves cranberry, so I've enlisted his help to give this flavor a more fair review.

This flavor is described as

The sweet of cranberry.  The tart of grapefruit.  Delicious.



My thoughts: The woman who gave me a sample of this at the recent Sweet Science tasting told me that people either love or hate this flavor.  Those who love it often claim it tastes just like Thanksgiving.  Just from the tiny sample I could tell I would not like this flavor.  No surprise.  Because I'm a masochist I took home a pint anyway.

Surprisingly, this sorbet grew on me.  For the initial ten bites or so, my reaction was, "Blech, ew, sour, cranberry, gross!"  As I persevered I grew more accustomed to the sour flavor and was able to appreciate some subtleties of the flavor.  Cranberry was the predominant flavor, but the citrus of the grapefruit helped to brighten the flavor and keep it from being bogged down by the cranberry.  (Get it? Bogged.  Cranberries. Groan.)


Even though the flavor wasn't my favorite, I fell in love with the texture of this sorbet.  Most sorbets are pretty icy and melt down into sugary flavored water.  This sorbet, on the other hand, was more of a thick foam.  Frozen, it was soft and fluffy.  Melted it retained its airiness and was almost the texture of a mousse.

So what did Kyle, our resident cranberry lover, think of Cranberry Grapefruit Sorbet?  He loved it. He ate most of the pint.  (I wish I would have claimed a bit more for myself, as I have a hunch this would be amazing with brown sugar and cinnamon sprinkled over the top.) He thought the cranberry flavor was prominent and couldn't really taste the grapefruit.  He also mentioned that it tasted exactly like cranberry sauce, which to him was a definite plus.  It was sour, but not too sour, and the texture was like an Italian ice.  I asked if he had any 'closing thoughts' about this sorbet and he said, "It was good.  It was red."  That made me laugh way more than it should have.

This is the most crap-tastic looking bowl picture I've ever taken.

The verdict? If you love cranberries and cranberry sauce you will love this sorbet.  If you don't like cranberries and cranberry sauce, the sorbet might grow on you, but I don't think its worth the $10 risk if you don't love cranberries.

This sorbet is available in November, but if you are lusting after it check here to see if a store near you carries Sweet Science and they may still have a pint or two.  I know Tim and Tom's often has a few pints of off-season Sweet Science flavors in stock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd