New Orleans Ice Cream Company Baked Alaska

I'm about a month late with this blog post. I ate this pint of ice cream only recently, but February 1st was Baked Alaska Day. Who knew that Baked Alaskas have their own day dedicated to them. I didn't, and next year I will have to celebrate it, seeing as I haven't ever had a Baked Alaska.



For those of you who are unfamiliar with this crazy dessert, a Baked Alaska is sponge cake topped with ice cream, topped with meringue and baked in a very hot oven for just long enough to firm the meringue, but not long enough to melt the ice cream. Baked Alaskas can also be called Norwegian Omelettes, and were probably originally called Alaska Floridas by the chef who invented them.



The turn-a-dessert-into-an-ice-cream-flaor motif is a common one, but New Orleans takes this to another level. I mean, everybody's got a cake flavor. Everybody's got a cookie flavor. Everybody's got a brownie flavor. But Moon Pies and now Baked Alaskas? I was super excited to try this flavor.

This flavor is described as Delight In A Decadent Dessert Of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream With Crunchy Meringue Pieces, Fresh Strawberries, Moist Cake Pieces & A Soft Meringue Swirl.



Wow there is so much going on in this flavor. I'll start with the base and the strawberries. There weren't a ton of strawberries in the pint. Maybe only 3-5 sizeable pieces, but lots of teeny strawberry bits throughout the pint. This made the whole base taste more like a strawberries and cream than a vanilla ice cream with strawberries in it. The strawberries were also juicy and amazing.



The best part of this flavor were the cake pieces. They were moist, but also dense, spongy, and even chewy. They were medium sized, and I usually found them in clusters of two or three pieces. The weak link of this flavor was the meringue. The pieces of meringue were so small that they didn't add much crunch to the flavor, but the eggy, custardy flavor also permeated the whole pint. The meringue swirl was also nice and fluffy.

Overall, I loved this flavor. I can't compare it with the actual experience of eating a Baked Alaska, as I've never had one, but I did wish there was a bit more crunch from the meringue.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd