FroYo Delmar Loop

A few weekends ago my friend Bronwyn and I were going to go to the Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop on the Delmar Loop. I was really excited because I wanted to try the Tonight Dough flavor. However, it was super snowy that day and Ben & Jerry's wasn't open. However, FroYo across the street was. So we decided to hit that up, instead.

If you've read my reviews of previous frozen yogurt shops, you know I have a whole check list of questions that I try to address in each post. They are as follows:

1) The variety of flavors: is there a good selection?
2) The flavor of my choices.
3) The quality of the combination of my choices.
4) The texture of the froyo (or sorbet, etc.)
5) The variety of the toppings.
6) Quality of the toppings.
7) How well my toppings coordinate with my froyo flavors.
8) Overall experience.





Lets get right to it!

1) Variety of flavors. This was definitely good. Plenty of chocolatey flavors, plenty of fruity flavors, some sorbets, and some more unique flavors!! The one down fall is it seems like some of the fruity flavors/and sorbets are always there and those might be some of their only fruity ones. But that could change once we hit spring/summer.



2) I chose Strawberry Shortcake, Red Velvet Cake, and White Chocolate Mocha. I also sampled Chocolate Chip Cupcake, but I didn't love it because it was pretty strongly cake battery, which is just not my fav. The Strawberry Shortcake was really good. The strawberryness of it wasn't artificial tasting, and there was the perfect hint of shortcake flavor. The Red Velvet Cake flavor was pretty spot on in flavor, however it was very strong, and a bit overpowering (I'll get more to this in just a bit). Last but not least was the White Chocolate Mocha. It was AMAZING!! Tasted exactly like a White Chocolate Mocha, but cold. The perfect balance of sweet white chocolate flavor and coffee. Yum yum.



3) My combination. Strawberry Shortcake and White Chocolate Mocha went together better than I expected them to. They were both sort of mild in flavor, and the sweet/tartness of the strawberry worked nicely with the richer coffee.  The Strawberry Shortcake and the Red Velvet Cake also worked relatively well together. Their cake flavors blended well, and the strawberry tartness mellowed out the richness of the red velvet. Lastly, the Red Velvet Cake and White Chocolate Mocha didn't go together that well. The Red Velvet Cake was so strong that it kind of drowned out the White Chocolate Mocha.



4) The texture of Froyo's froyo is definitely on the creamier end of the spectrum which I like. Maybe that means it isn't quite as healthy for you as some other froyos, but I don't really care.

5) The variety of toppings is really good at FroYo. They have every fruit you could want, boba, mochi, all sorts of candy and cereal, nuts, granola, sauces, you name it. Nothing super unique, but definitely everything you could want.

The pink is obv the Strawberry Shortcake, the white-ish is the White Chocolate Mocha and the brownish is the Red Velvet Cake.


6) I ended up getting cookie dough chunks, dark chocolate shavings, strawberries, Reese's crumbles, and white chocolate chips. The cookie dough chunks were a bit smaller than other places, which was kinda lame, but that also let you actually mix them into your froyo instead having to eat them separately. I liked how the dark chocolate shavings weren't too thin, but they weren't as thick as actual chunks. The strawberries were in syrup, which I really don't like, but what are ya gonna do. I got Strawberry Shortcake froyo, I had to get strawberries. I forgot how much I really like crumbled up Reese's and that's all I'm gonna say about that (there also isn't really much else to say, you can't really screw up Reese's). The white chocolate chips were also pretty standard.



7) Obviously the strawberries and white chocolate chips worked really well with everything because they complimented the flavors of the froyo. The dark chocolate shavings also worked with everything pretty well, because chocolate goes with everything. The cookie dough chunks kind of overpowered the flavor of everything around them, except the Strawberry Shortcake froyo, probably because the flavors are so wildly different. Lastly, I really liked the Reese's with the Strawberry Shortcake, because chocolate, peanut butter, and strawberry is a surprisingly amazing combo, but the Reese's with the other two froyo flavors was almost too much.



8) Overall experience was really good. I enjoyed having unique flavors, especially the White Chocolate Mocha. It was really good. My one critique, however, is my own fault. Lately when I have been getting froyo I felt like I haven't been getting enough toppings, so this time I went ham with the volume of toppings, and I think I went a bit overboard. The froyo to toppings ratio was a bit lower than I like it. Oh well, this was still really good and I really enjoyed everything I got!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd