Ben and Jerry's Peanut Buttah Cookie Core

Here's the last of the cookie core reviews: Peanut Buttah!  This flavor is described as

Peanut butter ice cream with crunchy peanut butter sugar bits, peanut butter cookies and a peanut butter cookie core.




Madeline's Review: First of all, I don't know what is up with this name.  Oh well.  Let's move through this flavor element by element.  First the ice cream.  The peanut butter ice cream was pretty darn good.  It tasted like the sweet-peanut butter filling of a peanut butter pie, and had the same smooth consistency, but denser.

The peanut butter cookies were soft and chewy, and tasted a bit more peanut-buttery and less sweet than the base ice cream.

When I read the description of this ice cream, I was most excited about the peanut butter sugar bits, but I was a bit disappointed.  The bits were pretty small, about the size of nerds candy.  They were very crunchy, so added some nice textural variation.  For some reason, when I read this description, I imagined these were going to have a bit of a burnt sugar flavor, but they did not.  Rather, they were just one more element of sweet peanut butter in this ice cream.

Finally the core.  Let me just say that I am totally behind the idea of cookie butter and the Ben and Jerry's cookie core.  This was the standout of the ice cream.  It had the same crunchy to gooey texture change as the chocolate cookie core in Boom Chocolatta.  I want a jarful of this stuff to put on sandwiches and apples and bananas and oreos and everything.

My overall impression was that I liked this ice cream, and I liked the core, but I felt it was a bit one-note.  Granted, if you have to pick only a single note, sweet peanut butter is not a bad choice, but this flavor could have done with more variation.  I think salted peanut chunks would have really been amazing here.

Lizzy's Review: I agree with Madeline on most things in this review. The Ben & Jerry's peanut butter base flavor is very sweet and mild in flavor. This does not do well for it in flavors like the Peanut Butter Half Baked, but works fine here since there aren't other, stronger flavors to drown it out.



The peanut butter cookie bits were definitely good, but I think I might have preferred the peanut butter cookie dough from Peanut Butter Half Baked.



Like Madeline, I was really excited about the peanut butter sugar bits, and I was imagining they would be a bit like peanut brittle. They definitely could have been bigger and just something a little different, either salty, or more like peanut brittle, or something, and that would have made this ice cream super amazing. Another thing that could be different is it could have the crunch peanut butter swirl that was in Peanut Butter Brownie Sundae, somehow incorporated, and I also thing that would have given the flavor/texture variation Madeline and I are searching for.



Of course the core was amazing. It wasn't quite as flaky as the Boom Chocolatta core. It was also not just peanut butter. It was sweeter and because of the crunch elements definitely reminded me of a crunchy peanut butter cookie. It was totally fabulous.



Overall, I really liked this ice cream. Granted there might be a few things that could be changed, and yes, as Madeline said, it was a bit one note. However, I think peanut butter deserves a flavor of ice cream dedicated to just it. There are lots of ice creams, even ice creams by Ben & Jerry's, that feature peanut butter, but they have other things going on, too, whether that be chocolate or strawberry, or caramel. I might not choose this every time, and it might not be my favorite core flavor, but it was definitely good, I would definitely get it again, and it is definitely a flavor that needed to be made.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd