Haagen Dazs Artisan Collection Tres Leches Brigadeiro

Not too long ago, Madeline reviewed the new Haagen Dazs Artisan Collection Tres Leches Brigadeiro ice cream. This ice cream is inspired by two dessert treats, tres leches cake and brigadeiros. Neither Madeline nor I have had brigadeiros. However, Madeline has never had tres leches cake while I have.



First, I cannot believe I am related to someone who has never tried tres leches cake. I am going to fix that at the first opportunity I have. Ahhhh tres leches is soo good. It is one of my favorite things ever. If any of you, Dearest Reader, are so unfortunate and have not had tres leches I will describe it to you. It is a very, very, very moist cake made with obviously three milks. Those milks are sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream. Basically tres leches cake tastes like the best white/yellow cake you have ever had just soaked in sugary sweet amazing milk. Like literally liquid pours out of the cake when you put your fork in it. I wrote that description without knowing how tres leches cake is actually made. Now I just looked it up, and basically that is what you do (sauce). You make cake, poke holes in the top, and pour the mix of those three milks in it. Then you let the cake sit overnight. Then you give it to Lizzy and I nom nom nom it.



I don't think I have ever seen an ice cream that incorporates or was inspired by tres leches cake so I was really excited about this.

In her review, Madeline told us a brigadeiro was a chocolate Brazilian candy made with sweetened condensed milk.



The short description of this ice cream on the website reads, Through a collaboration with Paula of My Sweet Brigaderio, we deconstruct her 'happy couple' brigaderio to make a decadent sweetened condensed milk and cocoa, then swirl it into creamy tres leches ice cream.

The longer description on the pint is below:



From all of this information I expected the base ice cream to taste like sweetened condensed milk. And boy oh boy it did.  Although the amazing looking swirl I saw when I opened the pint was very very tempting, I resisted it and tried just the base in my first bite. Oh my god yes it did taste like sweetened condensed milk. I could also taste cream. It really really reminded me of tres leches. Oh wow. I could eat a whole pint of this plain. Yummmmm.



The swirl was also amazing. It was very liquidy, but had a texture that was distinct from the ice cream even when the ice cream melted. It was sweet from the sweetened condensed milk, but also had a rich, dark, and smooth cocoa flavor. It definitely was not just a fudge swirl or chocolate sauce swirl. Ugh it was amazing. I only have two complaints. This isn't sold in a whole pint, it is only sold it 14oz containers. I could have totally eaten more of it. My other complaint is that my container wasn't 100% full.



Overall, this ice cream was sooo simple and sooo amazing. I am so glad an ice cream company decided to tackle tres leches cake. I was almost afraid the addition of cocoa would take away from the tres leches-ness of it, but it just made it so amazing. You killed it, Haagen Dazs. Absolutely killed it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd