Cedar Crest Snowflake

I've reviewed a few Cedar Crest flavors on the blog before, including a stellar Chocolate Malt flavor.  For those not in the know, Cedar Crest is a Wisconsin based ice cream brand available throughout the Midwest.  I haven't reviewed more Cedar Crest flavors because, up 'til now, I have only found them in larger-than-pint containers.  Since there are only two of us in the house, and I often purchase flavors that Kyle doesn't like I am often the only lonely one to eat a flavor.  If I have to finish more than a pint of a flavor solo, sometimes more than a pint can feel like quite the long slog even if I love the flavor.

The moral of the story is that I picked up a couple more Cedar Crest flavors because my grocery store recently started carrying pints! Hooray!  This is great because, in my experience, Cedar Crest makes some pretty freaking decent ice creams at a pretty freaking decent price (i.e. cheaper than B&J's and H-D).



The first flavor I have for you is Snowflake, described as

White pistachio ice cream blended with a flurry of white chocolate coated almonds and white chocolate flakes.

First of all, this description really threw me for a loop.  I have never heard of a white pistachio.  Afetr extensive googling, I've determined that no such thing exists, and Cedar Crest is really just talking about normal pistachios.  Normal pistachios are green with white shells, so I suppose they are white compared to the dyed-red pistachios.  My extended family always had giant bags of 'white' pistachios, but I suppose red pistachios are the norm for some.  I just find it strange that Cedar Crest felt the need to call normal pistachios 'white pistachios.'

Bleached white!

Okay, now to actually talk about the ice cream.  Man, oh man this ice cream was white.  It was so white it made me uncomfortable.  Like how Iggy Azalea is white and it makes you uncomfortable... Yeah. Why is this not green! Pistachios are green!  Apart from the weird color, the base was pretty good.  It definitely tasted like pistachios.  It was actually a bit sweeter and creamier than other pistachio ice creams I have had, and I think this came from the white chocolate component.

The white chocolate flakes were small and abundant.  They had a definitive crunch, yet weren't too crunchy.  These flakes were interesting because they tended to come in clusters, but didn't clump together.  I could still tell that they were distinct flakes, there were just 4 or 5 of them.  The white chocolate was on point.  It was creamy and had a perfect delicately sweet flavor.

You can kind of see some of the white chocolate chunks here.  They're the more yellow-y colored bits.


Last but not least, the almonds.  These things were whole almonds covered in white chocolate.  They were gigantic.  The almonds gave a great, more savory complement to the sweetness of the white chocolate and the base, but they were just so huge in comparison.  If they were just as big, but were more abundant it would have been ok.  Or, if there were smaller chunks of almond it would have been ok.  As it was, their size and sparseness throughout the pint made them come as a surprise.  It was kind of weird.





Overall, a great flavor at a decent price (I think ~$3, I should start writing these things down!).  Also  pretty unique flavor.  I can't think of another pistachio/white chocolate combo.

Comments

  1. All I can think after reading this post is, "why is Iggy Azalea not green?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahhahaha! But why isn't she green!?

      Delete
    2. I love this ice cream and wish it was available year around

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd