Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet Cake

Red velvet cake is definitely high on my list of favorite non ice cream desserts. I tried this flavor for the first time almost 4 years ago and didn't really like it. And I honestly don't think I have had it since then. But around Valentine's Day there were lots of new red velvet desserts that I saw in stores. There were red velvet Oreo's (which were AMAZING) and there were red velvet M&M's exclusive to Wal-Mart, which were also pretty good. This obviously meant I needed to do a red velvet Sundae Sunday, so this ice cream had to be my base. The only other red velvet ice cream I have seen is from Blue Bell and I couldn't find any, so Ben & Jerry's it was.

Pretty in pink!


Another knock on this ice cream before we even start. I hate discrepancies. On the website the description of this flavor is Red Velvet Cake Batter Ice Cream with Red Velvet Cake Pieces & a Cream Cheese Frosting Swirl.

The description on the pint is Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream with Red Velvet Cake Pieces & a Cream Cheese Frosting Swirl.



GET IT TOGETHER BEN & JERRY'S!! DECIDE WHAT YOUR ICE CREAM IS!!

Flavor wise, the base is definitely red velvet cake batter. And that is why I don't love it. I don't love cake batter. I like it, but I would pick cake over cake batter. Especially red velvet cake over red velvet cake batter.

This was also the first time I used the pint cozy I got from Ben & Jerry's!


The cheese cream frosting was pretty good. Texture wise it was hard to distinguish from the ice cream, although it did seem pretty true to cream cheese frosting. The taste was also pretty true to like a high quality cream cheese frosting. However, the swirl was not that abundant.

This was the best shot I got of the swirl. It is the light color kind of in the middle of the pint.


Lastly, the red velvet cake pieces were really good. There were also more of them and they were bigger than I remember when I first tried this ice cream. They were super chewy and dense like red velvet cake.



Overall, this ice cream was much better than I remembered. I would like it more if there was less cake batter/cream cheese flavors (I kind of put those two in the same flavor category) and more cocoa/red velvet flavors. Because of that, the sundae I made worked really well because both the Oreo's and the M&M's were heavier on the cocoa/red velvet.

My beautiful and tasty sundae!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd