Whitey's Ice Cream: White Chocolate Raspberry

I had quite the ice cream adventure while in Iowa City visiting the University of Iowa. There are no independent ice cream shops in down town Iowa City, so after having some some tasty Thai food in down town Iowa City, I drove a bit out of town to try an ice cream shop called Heyn's Ice Cream. I had to rush because I thought they were closing soon. When I got there I saw two cop cars in the parking lot. My first thought was, "Oh the Iowa City PD is cool, they like ice cream!" But when I got to the door, it was locked. An employee came out and told me they had received a call threatening the employees, so they had to call the cops and close early. I was sooo devastated. As I got into my car to drive away, I saw a family try to go in and experience the same disappointment.

After a lot of running that day, the Thai food did not fill me all the way up so I needed some ice cream. There are some fro yo shops in Iowa City, but I was really feeling some ice cream, not fro yo. Luckily there was a grocery store across from the ice cream shop. This grocery stored carried a brand of ice cream, Whitey's, that has a scoop shop in the Coralville (next to Iowa City) Mall, but the scoop shop had already closed down for the evening so I hadn't considered going there. Although this grocery store had a lot flavors I had been looking for for a while, like the Tonight Dough flavor, new Talenti flavors, and new Haagen Dazs flavors, I decided to go for this sort of local brand to at least get something I couldn't get in St. Louis.



Whitey's is a brand that is in more than just Iowa. They have scoop shops in Iowa and Illinois and they sell pints in stores elsewhere in the Midwest. The name comes from the nickname of the founder, Chester Lindgren. He got the nickname because of his white blond hair.  Lindgren opened Whitey's in 1933 with a scoop shop in Moline, IL. They opened their second store in 1977 and started selling pints in grocery stores in 1988.

An awkwardly Christian company, but whatever they make good ice cream.


At the grocery store I went to they had some pretty standard flavors, a Moose Tracks flavor, and White Chocolate Raspberry. The White Chocolate Raspberry sounded like exactly what I was craving so I went for it.

The flavor of the base was pretty standard. It wouldn't do well on it's own, but it was a good back drop for the other flavors in this ice cream. And there was a lot of other stuff going on, I will tell you that. The texture was also lighter (reflected in the calorie content (good thing that it was relatively low, because I had to kill this point in one sitting because my hotel room didn't have a freezer)) and there was a decent amount of air in it.



The raspberry swirl was pretty good. It was never very thick, but there was a lot of it throughout the pint. It was sort of middle of the road, not too liquidy and not too jelly-y. The best part about it is that it really did taste like raspberries, and as you can see from the ingredients, there are real raspberries in the swirl!



Last, and most definitely not least, the chocolate. The chocolate flakes are really what sets this flavor apart from the Haagen Dazs version. Overall, I'm not sure that this version is better than the Haagen Dazs, but the chocolate in this was amazing. It was definitely some nicely made chocolate because it had detailing in it. It also was not just plain dark chocolate. It was dark chocolate with raspberry flavoring. Yep, you read that right. There was a raspberry swirl and raspberry chocolate. There were also, every once in a while, maybe only three or four in the whole pint, pieces of chocolate that were not only raspberry, but also had almonds in them. The mellow flavor of the almond was a nice counter point to the tart raspberry. I wouldn't want it every bite, because it would have kind of taken away from the raspberry or the chocolate flavors, but it was another nice twist to this flavor.



All in all, I was pleasantly surprised with this flavor. The added raspberry and almond to the chocolate really took it to the next level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd