Izzy's Lemon Buttermilk and Blueberry and Strawberry

You guys, it's spring!  All of a sudden Minnesota went from being 9 degrees to 16 degrees to 40 degrees (Fahrenheit, obvi), and now it's supposed to be in the 50s for the next few days.  I'm so happy.  I hate the winter so much.

On Sunday I was up at school waiting to meet up with a study group.  I got there a few hours early to work some problems on my own, but was tiring out and didn't want to do any more work, so I made a spur of the moment decision to go to Izzy's to get some ice cream.  Never a bad decision.

Normally you can count on Izzy's to have on or two weird or unique flavors, but on this trip, I had already tried all of their non-standard flavor offerings, and I wanted to try something new.  (Sidenote, I'm proud of myself that I've tried so many Izzy flavors.  I eat so much ice cream.)  The only sort of weird flavor left was lemon buttermilk.  I'm really really glad the stars aligned as they did, because I think if I some of the other flavors were new that day, I would have passed right over the lemon buttermilk, which would have been a shame.  Because I couldn't decide what I wanted, I decided to be awesome and get a double scoop.  Again, always the right choice.  If you can't decide between two ice cream flavors, don't.  I went with a scoop of lemon buttermilk, a scoop of blueberry, and an Izzy scoop of strawberry.

It was warm, but still cold enough that I needed a glove to hold my ice cream.


I'll talk about the strawberry first since it was the tiny Izzy scoop.  This was so so so close to perfection.  It was super dense and creamy and sweet and slightly tart.  The one bad thing is that I did not get any strawberry chunks.  There might actually be strawberry chunks in the ice cream, it's possible I didn't get in in my tiny Izzy scoop.  This being the case, the base was so good that it almost didn't suffer from not having strawberry chunks.  Imagine that.  Imagine how good it must have been and be jealous.

The blueberry ice cream was also amazing, just not quite as amazing as the strawberry ice cream.  If you get these two ice creams together, I definitely recommend eating the blueberry first and then the strawberry.  This ice cream tasted less like fresh blueberries and more like blueberry pie filling.  But blueberry pie filling made from fresh blueberries, not blueberry filling made from a can.  Yeaaahhhhh.  It had no actual blueberries, but I don't think I've ever had any ice cream with whole blueberries.  Maybe they get weird when they are frozen or something.  I'll have to try this with the ice cream maker THAT IS ON IT'S WAY TO MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW.

Last but not least, the lemon buttermilk ice cream.  This was surprisingly good, especially since I had no idea what to expect.  Also, it was pretty interesting, because the intensity of the lemon flavor increased as I ate, so the flavor at the beginning was totally different than the flavor at the end.  Izzy's describes this ice cream as

Thick, lemon custard is paired with the zesty tang of lemon juice and extract.  Real buttermilk and Izzy's velvety ice cream mix soothe sour flavors, leaving tastebuds calm, collected, and craving more.

At first this flavor reminded me of a lemon Madeleine cookie (aka the best named cookie in the  world).  In general, Madeleines are buttery and flaky, and when they are lemon flavors, it is just a delicate hint of lemon to complement the butteriness.  It also reminded be a bit of lemon custard doughnut filling, so I kind of laughed when I read the description, because I was so spot on.  As I kept eating this ice cream, the lemon intensity (but not the sourness) grew, and by the end it was a very intense, not so buttery flavor lemon flavor.  While this ice cream was good, it was even better as a complement to the blueberry ice cream.  If you've ever had a lemon-blueberry muffin you know what I'm talking about.  Zomg the combo was so good.

I've yet to go wrong at Izzy's, and somehow I don't think I ever will.  Sometimes I wish Izzy's were just a hair closer to campus, but then I would probably go there every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd