New for 2015: Talenti Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

Talenti put out 7 new flavors for 2015, and I managed to find three of them on my last trip to the grocery store.  Kyle thought it would be ridiculous to buy all three at once, and he thought I should pick only 2, but I snuck the third flavor into the cart.

I couldn't decide which flavor I was most excited to try, so I let the good people of Facebook decide, and they chose Oatmeal Raisin Cookie.



I sadly never got the chance to try the much missed Ben and Jerry's Oatmeal Cookie Chunk, so unfortunately I will be unable to compare the Talenti for those of you who miss OCC, but I'll try to do a good enough job describing the Talenti to hopefully give you an idea of how they compare.



The first flavor I notice biting into this ice cream is cinnamon and ....... something else that I can't put my finger on.  Was it nutmeg?  Clove?  Some other weird spice?  I finally read the ingredient list, and I think the mystery flavor was molasses.  I have personally never made or had oatmeal raisin cookies that contained molasses, but I found a bunch of recipes online that did include molasses.  Often these recipes were billed as 'old-fashioned' oatmeal raisin cookies.  For me, the molasses wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but it induced a bit of cognitive dissonance.  The gelato tasted good, and it tasted almost like oatmeal raisin cookies, but not quite.  Those of you used to oatmeal raisin cookies made with molasses will not have this problem and will probably enjoy this flavor.

Hey there molasses!


Now for the mix-ins.  The raisins were small, but juicy.  I would have liked a few more in the pint.  As it was I got some approximately every other bite, but it would have been good to have some in every bite.  The cookie chunks were very small, and might better be described as cookie crumbs, but they added some nice texture to the flavor.  Even though they were so small, you could see that there were pieces of rolled oats in the chunks.  Also, because they were so small, I got some in every bite.

Overall this was a decent, solid, but not amazing flavor.  Some might find it amazing, but for me it was just good with a side of cognitive dissonance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd