Magnum's Double Peanut Butter Ice Cream Bars

Man, I have been peanut-buttering it up this last week or so! Chubby Hubby, Peanut Butter Pie frozen custard and now a new (ish) peanut butter ice cream bar from Magnum.  Man I love peanut butter so much.  I eat it with a spoon.  I have fond memories of sitting on my kitchen floor after a night out on the Loop drukenly eating half a jar of peanut butter and laughing with my roommates.  We *might* have found a lemon on the sidewalk, brought it back with us, drawn a face on it and named it Liz.  Oh college.

Anyway, enough with the nostalgia trip and on to the review.  I think saw Magnum Double Peanut Butter on shelves for the first time about 2 months ago and made a mental note to try them at some point.  The 'doubles' are my favorite bars from magnum.  There's just something awesome about a gooey layer of sauce between the crunchy outer and creamy inner layers of an ice cream bar.

This bar is

Peanut butter ice cream dipped in a chocolatey coating, peanut butter sauce, and milk chocolate.




I think Magnum ice cream bars are some of the best out there because of the consistency of the ice cream, and these bars were no different.  The ice cream was thick and dense enough that it melted slowly to avoid a huge mess, but wasn't so hard and dry that it broke off when you bit it.  I made sure to try a bit of the peanut butter ice cream on its own, and was pleasantly surprised.  This was not as sweet as some other peanut butter ice creams out there.

The peanut butter sauce was not as liquidy as the sauce in the double chocolate and double caramel flavors, but it did begin to melt down a bit as the bar warmed up.  I wish it had been a bit saucier, but it was still good.  It reminded me of the peanut butter filling from those hoity-toity fancy-schmancy peanut butter cups.  Super smooth and dense, not as sweet at Reese's filling, but in the same flavor family.  In fact, that's the overall flavor profile I got from this bar: fancy peanut butter cups.



The outer chocolate coating was good and, until the very last bites of the bar, didn't do the dreaded cracking thing where huge chunks of coating break off and make a mess.  Ugh, I hate that so much.  The chocolate flavor was a little overpowered by the peanut butter, and I think a dark chocolate coating would have avoided that and taken this treat to the next level.  That's really my one quibble with these bars.

Actually, that is false.  These come three to a pack.  Ice cream bars should come in even numbers otherwise there is an incredibly tense standoff over who gets the last bar.

Comments

  1. You misspelled "drunkenly." I suppose that goes with the territory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd